Chain Lube Oil Comparison Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
very interesting reading, and something I've suspected for a while now. It's a generalisation I know, but I think as a self-selected group, us cyclists can be somewhat credulous: how many times have I read "Thou shalt not use wd40 as a lubricant" or seen someone recoil in sheer horror at the mention of using 3-in-1 (yes folks before the advent of "boutique" [expensive] cycle oils our chains were still squeak-free)!
I guess it's a symptom of modern life: every company is looking to "add value" to their product (cornflakes in a cup for £18 per kilo? Genius!), and cycling is a very fashion driven activity

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
very interesting reading, and something I've suspected for a while now. It's a generalisation I know, but I think as a self-selected group, us cyclists can be somewhat credulous: how many times have I read "Thou shalt not use wd40 as a lubricant" or seen someone recoil in sheer horror at the mention of using 3-in-1 (yes folks before the advent of "boutique" [expensive] cycle oils our chains were still squeak-free)!
I guess it's a symptom of modern life: every company is looking to "add value" to their product (cornflakes in a cup for £18 per kilo? Genius!), and cycling is a very fashion driven activity
I think you need to read down further to get the full answer onWD40 ....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What? 5 posts in and no one has criticised the use of the phrase "attracts dirt". Come on CC lube pedants, you're slipping. ;)

I think you need to read down further to get the full answer onWD40 ....
That it did about as badly as the Purple Extreme? :smile: I'd only use it in an emergency, honest!

And before anyone takes exception at me calling cyclists "credulous" I'd like to point out that I have a toolbox full of expensive bike lubricants too!

I'm guessing that if you clean and lube your chain every ride then it doesn't matter that a lube doesn't have a long life. I am not one of these people because I am lazy, I don't even pump my tyres every ride. Sometimes I even forget the 21 point safety check!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That it did about as badly as the Purple Extreme? :smile: I'd only use it in an emergency, honest!

And before anyone takes exception at me calling cyclists "credulous" I'd like to point out that I have a toolbox full of expensive bike lubricants too!

I'm guessing that if you clean and lube your chain every ride then it doesn't matter that a lube doesn't have a long life. I am not one of these people because I am lazy, I don't even pump my tyres every ride. Sometimes I even forget the 21 point safety check!
Bang-on.
It's not that WD40 doesn't work, it doesn't last very long whereas regular lubes do and any lube is better than no lube.
I'm like you, I don't have time for much bike cleaning or anal chain-care regimes, I just keep it well lubed and fit a new chain every spring.

Jaykun85

i thought i best clean my chain aw it was looking a little bit black. Haven't really cleaned it for a good while (since i got the bike). I know I'm a baud cyclist.
Looks nice and new now though so just waiting for the weather to get better.
I found this oil in my LBS "Finish Line - 1 Step"

Anybody used it at all ? know if its any good. Only got it cos it was cheap. I just see oil as oil .. there to do one thing and keep the chain lubricated

Top Bottom