Chain lube - rusty chain !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I rode on Monday - marginally damp roads - and today, Wednesday when I got my bike out the chain had gone rusty :ohmy: !

I normally use Joe's wet chain lube - just a smidge - and the Mickle method of cleaning it. However this morning I needed to leave for work so I doused it in Tf2 bike lubricant to ease it up & get the rust off.

What do others use at this time of year to stop the chain going rusty like this ? It seems to me to need more protection than I'm giving it at the moment.

Thanks !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
just normal lube with the chain wiped down and relubed once a week.

It's all the bleedin' road salt & grit.

just normal lube with the chain wiped down and relubed once a week.
Just Once a week your chain would be a mess up here, with
all the bleedin' road salt & grit.
;)
On particularly salty/wet weeks I find its best to wipe down the chain top up the lube every ride or two and give it a proper clean (baby wipes between the chain rings) once a week.
If I'm stuck for time like the OP and surface rust has developed, a quick wipe down and wet lube suffices.

HovR

Über Member
The exact same thing happened to me. Went out on the Monday, by Tuesday morning rust was developing on the chain.

I gave it a generous dousing of GT85 and rode the bike around to get the chain moving and the rust loose, followed by a thorough wipe down and re-lube.

gilespargiter

Veteran
for a heathen method; bit of EP90 oil or bearing grease, cooking oil is usually handy if nothing else is around. Never clean it - washes more grit in than out. lasts just as long and my time is best spent riding not messing with chains!

gilespargiter

Veteran
Just had a quick look over my bike; now I have done a hundred miles or so of commuting in the salt and wet. might have to lube the chain perhaps as soon as next weekend, as I intend to use the bike for a seventy mile each way visit this wk-end.
Such a pain I have to lube my chain at least once every two weeks or so. I will probably use mower grease from an agricultural merchant next time; it stays on far longer. Such a waste of my riding and coffee drinking time all this hard maintenance, you would think in this day and age a chain would need no attention for the life of the bicycle (40yrs so far).
I think these machinery manufacturers just sell us sub standard rubbish so that we waste our money.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I lube my chain after every wash, so at least once a week! Takes 10 minutes at most, I can't drink a coffee in that time

Top Bottom