Chain Lube , what do you use!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi just wondering how you clean and lube your chain. There is quite varied opinions On B.R.O.L. bentridersonline as our cousins across the pond use from chain saw oil to nothing but WD40. So how do you maintain your chain! I use white spirit to clean using a brush and then wipe down untill dry with a clean rag , finish off with white lightening applled on rollers of chain then again wiped with a clean rag. Bit time consuming but think its worth doing.

musa

Über Member
Give the forum a search been covered quite a lot. Anything will do.

OP
OP
neil earley
Thanks once again think I will do the mickle method , still interested in which lubes people use as these bent chains are soooo long

snorri

Legendary Member
I found a can of engine oil in the shed, so that's what I'm using just now, it's better than dumping the oil down the drain, but it's important to put an old mat under the bike to catch the drips when its parked for a bit.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm using chainsaw oil. Applied to a new chain it seems to be better than anything else I've used at staying on the chain, not picking up dirt and chain life seems at least 1000 miles more than I was getting from conventional lubes.

starhawk

To be honest. I have never ever lubed a chain. Never had a problem with them either. I have never changed the chain on any of the bicycles I have had over the years. It just is there and it works so why bother?

Cubist

Still wavin'
To be honest. I have never ever lubed a chain. Never had a problem with them either. I have never changed the chain on any of the bicycles I have had over the years. It just is there and it works so why bother?
keep-calm-and-burn-the-heretic-5.png

Stonepark

Über Member
Chainsaw lube for me as well, designed for tensioned chains spinning at 11m/s and inexpensive compared to bike lube.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I use 'Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lubricant'. 25% off at chainreactioncycles at the mo.

I'd really recommend using a cleaning tool. My 'Park' chain cleaner (35% off) takes 30 seconds, and leaves it looking like new and it has a magnet to remove all the metal shards.

Oh, and at there's an extra 10% off at the moment at chainreactioncycles, code 'NET10'.

bubbles3

Hi just wondering how you clean and lube your chain. There is quite varied opinions On B.R.O.L. bentridersonline as our cousins across the pond use from chain saw oil to nothing but WD40. So how do you maintain your chain! I use white spirit to clean using a brush and then wipe down untill dry with a clean rag , finish off with white lightening applled on rollers of chain then again wiped with a clean rag. Bit time consuming but think its worth doing.

LIke yourself i use white spirit and a small paint brush, then cotton buds to get any other muck out from between the chain links. Until recently i used Muc of dry lube but the mechanic who fixes my bike said it was making the chain very stiff. He sold me a can of piranah aerosol lube. it seems to do the job, despite putting a bit to much on the first time i used it!! It has the added advantage of having a little pipe on the nossle so i can get the lube into more awkward areas.

Top Bottom