chain lubes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
So lots of people seem to use different stuff to put on their chain. I think i will try some 3 in 1 and compare it to the finish line wet. At the moment i have to put it on once a week, i do about 80-100 miles a week in different weather conditions. Although at the moment the chain does need a clean.
To clean the chain, should i just wipe it down with a cloth, then oil it, or do i need to use something to get all the gunk on the chain off. I cleaned it before and just wiped it down, but it didnt seem to get it all off.

Cheers,
Joe

Mortiroloboy

Joe24 said:
So lots of people seem to use different stuff to put on their chain. I think i will try some 3 in 1 and compare it to the finish line wet. At the moment i have to put it on once a week, i do about 80-100 miles a week in different weather conditions. Although at the moment the chain does need a clean.
To clean the chain, should i just wipe it down with a cloth, then oil it, or do i need to use something to get all the gunk on the chain off. I cleaned it before and just wiped it down, but it didnt seem to get it all off.Cheers,
Joe

May I refer you to my earlier post.

littlestwoo

All the chain needs cleaning, in pasrticular the bits that contact with the sprockets and chainwheel, thats what stops the wear and makes things live longer. The same priciple goes for dry lubs, the less it picks up, the less muck there is to cause wear.

Steve

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I never remove a chain for cleaning, it is a waste of time and they don't last any longer. in fact, soaking in degreaser washes grease from the pins inside the rollers and dripping oil or spraying lube on will never get in and replace it. Use a paintbrush and solvent to get the muck off in situ and then lube, it is as good a method as any.

Tynan

Veteran
the nice man in the LBS has sold me the Parks machine thingy and suggested once a week too, I'm doing 125 miles a week through London

all new to me, I used to ride 150 miles a week with almost zero servicing, ah well

dry lube at the moment, it ran lovely but sure nuff, it's sounding a bit less smooth after the downpour today, might look up the cross country one for next time

inaperfectworld

i don't really know to judge effectiveness of all these products, i suppose you can only tell by how long your transmission lasts and keeping acurate records of this, but then that depends on riding conditions as well. i clean my chain as a matter of duty, and not as often as i think i should as it's a chore. in summer i use purple extreme but finish line wet for winter as i just feel waxes are not up to the job for winter. i feel better for having done something.
re wd40 i noticed how it seemed to clean grimy bits of the derailleur when i squirted the pivots and spa cycles tell me it does indeed remove oil and grease; so fine for cleaning the chain but no use as a lubricant as it is soon thrown off or degraded

Jack

Purple Extreme for me at the moment. LBS told me it would be good for winter too, but from what you guys are saying. I put one drop on each link.

Tynan

Veteran
this is my current baby, doesn;t it sound good?

'DRY Lube made with Teflon® fluoropolymer

The industry’s original “dry” lubricant. Finish Line DRY Lube goes on wet, but then sets up in a dry, ‘paste-like’ film so it will not attract or absorb grit and grime. Teflon® fluoropolymer and specialized synthetic oils run silky smooth and provide excellent durability. Perfect for on or off-road riding – especially in dry, dirty, dusty conditions, while still providing adequate wet weather performance. Holds up to extreme pressures and resists water wash-off. A very versatile all-weather chain lubricant. Also, use on derailleurs, brake and shifter pivots. Features superior penetration qualities. Finish Line DRY Lube provides incredible drivetrain efficiency without attracting an excessive amount of contaminants – our most popular, best selling, most versatile lubricant.'

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Switched to Dry Wax lube when I put on a new chain, cranks and cassette at Easter. It was great whilst the weather was dry for a month or two, but then I noticed that it seemed to wash off in the rain and my chain was going rusty between arriving at work in the morning and leaving at night.

Switched back to Finish Line Wet and it's great. I wipe the chain down with a rag if it's starting to look black, and once every week or two (depending on how wet and muddy it's been) I take the chain off and degrease it (I have a powerlink for quick removal) and the cassette.

I still have a lovely, silent and shiny drive-train as compared to the old squishy-sounding, gunky one I used to have, even after 4 months of daily commuting since I replaced it.

Cycle chain lube is formulated to be (1) Tenatious, so it stays where you want it. (2) Non sticky, the better to repel grit thrown up from the road. (3) Withstand high loads without being squeezed out. Simple oils such 3 in 1 cant compete. 3 in 1 is only suitable in enclosed chaincases and shed hinges but better than nothing. Just.

Teflon is Duponts trade name for what everyone else calls PTFE (polytetraflouroethylene). (Less friction than any other material on the planet according to Tomorrows World!). Keeping it on your chain is a bugger

I dont understand the need for chain de-greasing, an almighty pain in the arse and a messy waste of time. Degreaser removes lube from inside the chain where it is needed and must then be washed off with water because it will break down any lube applied on top of it, reducing your lube to a water soluble emulsion.

Try this: wipe, lube, wipe, wipe, wipe, ride, wipe. Do it as often as you like, all you need is some good lube and a ready supply of rags.

Anything more than a thin film on the outside of your chain is too much.

IMHO natch.

Tynan

Veteran
my inaugural clean yesterday evening, seven week old chain (bike) incredible amount of stuff on the chain and gears, even at the brushing and picking stage

and shags of mess using the chain cleaner, it did come up shiny afterwards though and it's beautiful today

no idea really, al that rubbish stuck to the chain can't be helpful surely?

bobg

Über Member
Hi Joe , Take a quick look on the CTC tech forum, theres a thread about 10 miles long on the subject. I like purple extreme when I can borrow somone elses, mainly cos its its £9.99 a bottle. It gives the impression of washing off in the wet but in fact it just dries on. When I cant borrow any, I use 3 in one, but regularly stick the chain in an old plastic bottle of white spirit and give it a shake, same again with hot water and washing up liquid, rinse and hang out to dry, refit and re lube. This is all much easier with an SRAM link on the chain. I cant claim the credit for this idea - you'll see it on the ctc forum. As I live in an area akin to the Sahara for blown sand its an unavoidable task but only takes about 20 mins every couple of months .

Top Bottom