Chain maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyhunter

well what i do and i knw of some teams that do the same or similar technique which is making sure the chain is cleaned down using a dirty rag to remove most of the oil while still attached on the bike(around the big ring and a ring of the cassette) then clean up the big and middle ring with a rag and clean up the cassette not lik to make it fully shiny but to remove most of the oil i use finishline or prolink before applyin new fresh oil then do the top and bottom of the whole clean and lightly go around with another rag removing excess oil of the chain/cassette and big and middle ring which i make sure it is ready to rock and roll for the next ride. but every 3 weeks or at least every month or before every race i will remove the chain and big ring and middle ring and cassette and take the cassette apart and then use proper degreaser with a small brush and rag to apply it and clean it up and leave in a small container for a short while to remove all dirt grime and oil and clean it completly down with a brush and rag again and and hav it fully shiney and immuculate then it place it into different small containers for each of the items and i use castrol engine oil for cars and leave it for 1/3 days to soak in and fully lubricate and then i hang using fine wire each part ( big ring/small ring, chain, cassette fully apart to let the excess lubrication drip back into the container then i go over very lightly removing any excess sometimes and then place back onto the bike and works a treat far better smooth changing and running and better overall preformance :biggrin:.

SimonC

andyhunter said:
well what i do and i knw of some teams that do the same or similar technique which is making sure the chain is cleaned down using a dirty rag to remove most of the oil while still attached on the bike(around the big ring and a ring of the cassette) then clean up the big and middle ring with a rag and clean up the cassette not lik to make it fully shiny but to remove most of the oil i use finishline or prolink before applyin new fresh oil then do the top and bottom of the whole clean and lightly go around with another rag removing excess oil of the chain/cassette and big and middle ring which i make sure it is ready to rock and roll for the next ride. but every 3 weeks or at least every month or before every race i will remove the chain and big ring and middle ring and cassette and take the cassette apart and then use proper degreaser with a small brush and rag to apply it and clean it up and leave in a small container for a short while to remove all dirt grime and oil and clean it completly down with a brush and rag again and and hav it fully shiney and immuculate then it place it into different small containers for each of the items and i use castrol engine oil for cars and leave it for 1/3 days to soak in and fully lubricate and then i hang using fine wire each part ( big ring/small ring, chain, cassette fully apart to let the excess lubrication drip back into the container then i go over very lightly removing any excess sometimes and then place back onto the bike and works a treat far better smooth changing and running and better overall preformance :tongue:.

I'm out of breath just reading that.

If you hang on a minute, I've got some full stops somewhere.:wacko:

ASC1951

Guru
MichaelM said:
I love my bike so much that I use the same toothbrush as I do for my own teeth ;)

Rinse it all off, dry & relube. Then refit.
Maybe if you hadn't used the same toothbrush, you wouldn't now need to take your teeth out and refit them?

Top Bottom