Chain maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
oil

MichaelM

Guru
For those who find that life is too short to remove a chain, what do you do about your cassettes ?

Fettling is fun !

Remove chain, wash in muc off/ shitshifter or similar. Remove casette while your at it. Clean teeth of cassette with toothbrush - I love my bike so much that I use the same toothbrush as I do for my own teeth ;)

Rinse it all off, dry & relube. Then refit.

It doesn't take that long.

MichaelM said:
For those who find that life is too short to remove a chain, what do you do about your cassettes ?

Fettling is fun !

Remove chain, wash in muc off/ shitshifter or similar. Remove casette while your at it. Clean teeth of cassette with toothbrush - I love my bike so much that I use the same toothbrush as I do for my own teeth :thumbsup:

okaaay, backing away from the scary bike nerd....

SimonC

MichaelM said:

Fettling is fun !

Remove chain, wash in muc off/ shitshifter or similar. Remove casette while your at it. Clean teeth of cassette with toothbrush - I love my bike so much that I use the same toothbrush as I do for my own teeth :biggrin:

What do I do about my cassettes?

**** all!:sad:

Dave5N

Über Member
jimboalee said:

Bonding?

You need some fatty acids, Jim!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
MichaelM said:

Fettling is fun !

Remove chain, wash in muc off/ shitshifter or similar. Remove casette while your at it. Clean teeth of cassette with toothbrush - I love my bike so much that I use the same toothbrush as I do for my own teeth ;)

technically you don't need to remove the chain to clean the cassettes - you can do it with a toothbrush and or rag. I personally don't advocate removing the chain and it's links too often as it means that you weaken the chain - there are more effective ways to maintain it and if you do it frequently enough it shouldn't require much of a massive overhaul which needs a chain removed.

Yes I agree with you- keeping a bike clean and well running is important as it keeps the mechs and components working smoothly and for longer but I'd use my time effectively as there are other things that I'd rather be doing ie getting out on a ride is one of them..

Top Bottom