chain not meshing with chain ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have an old raliegh bannana bike i have been making road worthy but have come onto a little problem.

When i move the chain to the larger chain ring it doesnt mesh with the teeth straight away and 1/2 the time will fall off before it fits in.

I have replaced the rear mech with a newer one but i am still using the friction shifters.The front mech stops look like they are right .

Do i need to take a link out the chain does seem to be ahead of the teeth if that makes sense?

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes it does. If you are using the original chain then, the chain is worn. It fits the cassette and small ring because they are worn too. The big ring has had less wear so the chain doesn't fit. If the chain is new then the ring it won't fit is worn and needs replacing.

peanut

you don't say how old the chain is or the chain rings .
If the chain hasn't been used for a few years I would give it a good soak in parafin or petrol and clean it with a stiff brush then relubricate it.

check for stiff links of course particularly where you last joined it. Often people forget to reverse the chain tool and press the link from the oposite side to relieve the tighness in the joined link.

Also you might check that the front face of the cage of the front mech is exactly parallel with the big chain ring and is no more than 3mm directly above the big chainring when in line with it.

Check that the front mech is travelling far enough to put the chain onto the big chainring . Try adjusting the stop screw a bit

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Its an old chainring and chain.

I had already saoked the chain and checked the links , and when the chain gets onto the ring it does stay on .

50 % of the time the teeth are sitting on the middle of the link rather than the hole when it changes up though, once its on its fine its just that initial transfer that it misses. photo to follow

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

my.php

peanut

well straight away I can see that your front mech isn't fitted correctly.;)
You need to align the outer face of your front mech cage directly over the teeth of your big chainring.
Then measure the gap between the outer face and the chainring teeth near the top of the mech cage and adjust to 3mm maximum thats a very tiny gap less than the thickness of a matchstick.

Then stand over the top and looking down make sure the outer cage lines up with the teeth of the big chainring exactly in line.

Then try again see if there is any diference.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I think the biggest problem i can see looking at it is that the rings are warped when pedaling they touch either side of the gate . I have checked the bottom bracket their is no play there

peanut

well there you have it then it can never work consistently with a buckled chainring.

. We obviously can't see that in the picture. I didn't want to be rude but that is a very poor quality chainset probably has steel rings ? might not even have any chain ramp rivets .

If the rings are buckled you might as well buy another chainset even used . You could try removing both rings and check that they are seating properly on the crank spider arms .

spandex

I love Dr D
Your chain is so stretched it can no longer fit the ring!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Your not being rude at all :evil:

I got the bike for free of some one ,its an old carbon steel raleigh bannana bike i have been doing up this was going to be one of the last hurdles to get it back to mint.It according to what i could find out was a lower end reynolds tubing frame.

Unfortunatly i have been on short time for nearly 9 months at work , so bad are my pay cuts i cant even afford to pay my mortgage so even a second hand chain+chainset etc is out of the question looks like it will be on ebay

peanut

sympathies . My contract ended 2 months ago so I have had zero income for 12 weeks and all my savings have gone. :sad::sad:

Still there is always something to look on the bright side about.

If you are still serious about doing the bike up I have an old Shimano 600 crankset you can have.
I can probably find an old bottom bracket as well.

Send me a pm with your name and address and I'll post them to you.
It ai'nt brilliant but they are servicable.

let me know what else you need

Top Bottom