Chain not moving over to big chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClaireSaud

Veteran
I am sure the answer is glaringly obvious but the more I research it, the further the solution seems to be. I really need some help please.

I have 7 speed Shimano Tourney gears. I released the front mech cable when cleaning the bike and for the life of me I cannot get the cable tension right. The chain is current on the small chainring and lowest rear gear. When I try to move the chain to the big chainring, the FD moves over and then goes back to the small chainring when releasing the lever.

I'm sure this is simple but I am lost. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

uclown2002

Guru
Lack of cable tension; pull it tighter!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Loosen the cable making sure the shifter is in the small ring position then pull as tight as possible then tighten cable. If the mech was previously working don't adjust any limit screws.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Wrap a cloth round an exposed run of the cable and pull it as tight as you can. If that's enough to keep the chain on the big ring, then it's your shifter that isn't pulling enough cable through and you can probably fix that with the barrel adjuster, if there is one. Otherwise, it's probably the H limit screw on the derailleur that's preventing the cage from moving far enough and needs backing out a little.

Lots of videos on YouTube to help.

Hulk_slogan

I have/had the same issue, only when I'm riding the bike though.. On a work stand it shifts perfect though..

Mobytek

To learn a lesson, call your LBS, admit your failing and they wil forgive you. It'll cost you, but fogive you and show you what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Top Bottom