Chain not moving to big ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aravind123

Regular
Hi, so basically as I was cycling I was not able to shift my chain from the small ring to the big ring. So I got home and undid the bolt and pulled the gear cable for tension and now the gear shifter has gone very soft and the front derailleur does not even move when I shift gear unless I manually push it In which case it does move and consequently the chain does go to the big ring. Any tips to make the gear shifter work again so the chain goes to the small ring to big and vice versa smoothly, thanks.

Attachments

• D52BE4A2-38A0-4C28-87DF-C200E075FF97.jpeg
    D52BE4A2-38A0-4C28-87DF-C200E075FF97.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 10

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may have a frayed cable within the shifter, so check that - undo cable and check what the condition of the cable is in the shifter. When shifting, does if pull the disconnected cable freely. If it does, then press the downshift and pull the cable back out. If that's OK, then re-attach to the front mech, but I also pull out the front mech slightly as you tighten the cable, as it takes out slack (it's a three handed job).

Personally, check shifter end of cable.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Sounds like the cable has been fraying within the shifter and it has now snapped, I had this happen last week on the rear mech shifter. Easier enough to replace, new stainless steel cables (Clarks) are only £1.99 from Halfords and come complete with an end crimp.

Last edited:
I've never had a frayed front deraileur cable (but plenty of rear); if it was working recently and now failing that's a good shout. If not I adjust my front mechs that dont have barrel adjusters almost exactly like fossy describes. If you do have a barrel adjuster I still do that but there's a little more room for error.:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
STI cables are more prone to fraying in the shifter, so that's where I'd check. Could also be rather mucky, in that case new inner and outer cable. Whilst at it, do the rear shifter too.

OP - how long have the cables been on ?

OP
OP
A

aravind123

Regular
The cable in front doesn’t look frayed it’s a fairly new one, but it is slightly frayed at the derailleur part if that is what you all are saying, should I replace the whole cable ? I’m quite a newbie still so sorry if what I say isn’t making any sense lol

Attachments

• 875E214A-96A4-4C8A-A0A7-CC6C569876C4.jpeg
    875E214A-96A4-4C8A-A0A7-CC6C569876C4.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 7

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The cable in front doesn’t look frayed it’s a fairly new one, but it is slightly frayed at the derailleur part if that is what you all are saying, should I replace the whole cable ? I’m quite a newbie still so sorry if what I say isn’t making any sense lol
The bit pictured is unlikely to be damaged/frayed. Show us a picture of the first 5cm in the shifter near the barrel end.

This bit;

Last edited:
Top Bottom