Chain popping on cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billypierce74

I would take my bike in to get it checked out but turn around times right now are insane. Hopefully you can help me out. My road bikes chain keeps popping on the cassette (not coming off or changing gear) on all gears. It's not the clicking as if it misaligned but more like a bent tooth. But since it's every gear I don't know what it could be.

Sharky

Guru
Stiff link or damaged chain link/plate somewhere?

Reactions: C R

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
When I had this, it was a quicklink not fitted properly, so worth checking that too.
Unless the cable is a bit loose, so the chain is chattering , like not seating properly?

Ajax Bay

Guru
a new chain on an old cassette can behave the way you describe
Except one wouldn't expect the popping (?skating) effect on all sprockets with new chain on old cassette. Stiff link is rather more likely (see ^ ^ ^ )
I would remove the chain and give it a really good clean, an examination link by link, and refit, relube and ride on.

davidphilips

Veteran
The signs of a stiff link are pops every second turn of the pedals and more noticeable on smaller cassette wheels at back,usually its easy to find and free up the stiff link without removing the chain, just have your bike in highest gear and watch the chain go around the derailleur as you back pedal by hand slowly, If the chain is a good quality and little worn then maybe worth wile just freeing up with a bit of lub, theres a bit on some chain tools just for this but seldom needed.

Top Bottom