Chain problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok my first attempt at fitting a new chain and cassette has not gone according to plan. First I fitted the chain outside the seat stay, not good. Fixed that. Next problem, as some people may be aware I've had front gear cable problems and it finally failed this evening. Tried to ride home in the 39 chainring, however in 39/11 the chain is all over the place and not even engaging so I assume my chain is too long by quite a margin. Can anyone provide any help with chain lengths? I run a 53/39 full size front chainring setup with a 25/11 cassette. Cassette and chain are Shimano 10 speed. I haven't noticed a problem when on the 53 chainring.

Cheers

(I am determined to get this home maintenance stuff sorted but it is a steep learning curve)

gbb

Legendary Member
No calculations needed Martin, ive always used this method ...
http://bicycletutor.com/calculate-chain-length/

Remember NOT to pass the chain through the rear derailleur when setting it up. Just around the relevent sprockets.

potsy

Rambler
Quick linky would be better Martin
thumbsup.png

Those vids have helped me a lot this year, I normally start off thinking 5 minute job, doesn't quite go to plan so I then check out the videos
biggrin.gif
Still haven't put new cables on mine though, for some reason I think I would mess it up
blush.gif

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah Martin. You should not really use 39/11 as the side stresses on your chain will cause it and the other transmission components to wear horribly. For the same reason, don't use 53/25.

Thanks GA, I normally wouldn't but needs must on the way home today. Same tomorrow unfortunately when I'll only have the 53 available but need to go up a steep hill so it's going to be 53/25. New cables should be here by the time I get home from work tomorrow though

potsy

Rambler
Do you mean quick release chain links? I have some of those but I always think of them as for emergency only. Do you ride on them all the time?

All the time mate, they are really good, you can even take your chain off for a clean every now and then
whistling.gif

KMC chains for me, new chain comes with a quick link.

gbb

Legendary Member
Do you mean quick release chain links? I have some of those but I always think of them as for emergency only. Do you ride on them all the time?
Always usd them Martin, on every bike from 8 to 10 speed. Never had one fail on me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Always.

On another note. Lay your old chain on the floor then lay your new one next to it to match up how many links.

rb58

Enigma
+1
getting the quick link off can be a bit diddly though. My LBS showed me a special tool they use for the job, looked like a pair of shaped pliers. The LBS guy also said the links were re-usable without any problems.

Oh, and if you're going to measure your new chain by laying it against the old one, make sure you put it on newspaper or something otherwise all manner of sh*t will stick to it. I tell you this from experience! :whistle:

I recently bought a chain wear guide, I have a quick link on my chain.

Checked my chain wear, all ok, but on checking the chain wear when incorporating the quick link, came up borderline for chain wear. Now, I do get chain slip when changing gears occasionally, starting to wonder if it's the quick link causing the problem.

Brian

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If you ain't got an old chain to measure against, run your chain from big ring at the back to the big ring at the front - leaving out the the derailleur. Then add 4 links (2 x 2).

Top Bottom