Chain "Quick" links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

My new chain (KMC x10) has a quick link to join the chain.
But for the life of me i could not join it up. I tried for over an hour before i gave up.

Is there a knack to these things? I understand how it should work from the instructions, but it seems I need 3 hands to push the plates together and pull each end apart...

Thanks
Dave

Gary E

Veteran
you can buy a tool for fitting them here (not to be confused with a splitter here).

But to be honest if they are tight the following should work:-

Fit the chain to the bike with the link in the top run between cassette and chain ring. Then holding the link together between finger and thumb pedal forwards to pull the link closed. If it's really stiff you may need someone to push the pedal down with their foot while you hold the link in place (mind your fingers!)

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

potsy

Rambler
You don't need the tool, they are really easy with a little practice :thumbsup:
Only time I struggled was with a Sram one, the KMC's are great.

Gary E

Veteran
I wasn't suggesting that you needed a tool just that it could help if you're struggling. The 10 speed ones can be a bit tight but the above method has always worked for me. That said I bought the tool and it makes the job so much easier.
Sorry if I gave the impression that it was mandatory :blush:

+1 for them sometimes being fiddly. I've had ones that slot together really easily, and others that have been right pain. I find that squeezing them inwards at the same time seems to help. I know that sounds daft with a metal chain, but there is a tiny amount of lateral movement and I do find it helps.

subaqua

What’s the point
You don't need the tool, they are really easy with a little practice :thumbsup:
Only time I struggled was with a Sram one, the KMC's are great.

exact opposite here. struggled with the new KMC (sold at £4 cheaper in a btwin box from decathlon than the same KMC chain in a KMC box online !!! ) that went onto daughters bike this weekend. once the first join had been made it became quite easy to split and join. I used a pair of pointy nose pliers to snap the last bit in on the first go.

by contrast the SRAM chain on mine popped in like a dream on the Friday.

screenman

Legendary Member
+1 for the Wipperman, awesome piece of kit.

Top Bottom