Chain recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Having never replaced a chain on a bike and another cycling buddy asked if I'd ever replaced my chain I then went out and bought a chain checker tool.
It looks like my chain needs replaced .
I also used the other method by measuring the links . They have stretched a fair bit .
Chains been on since new about 2years so more than likely overdue.
Can any one recommend a new chain ?
the original cassette is 9 speed 11/32 shimano sora . Thanks

Slioch

Guru
I always use KMC chains, mainly because they come with a chain link included, which is much easier to use than the Shimano pins.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
KMC X9-73, or X9-93 if you want to pay extra for a bit of sparkle.

As has been said, you will probably need a new cassette at this stage of chain wear, but not definitely. I would buy a cassette anyway but try the new chain on the old cassette. If it runs ok then keep the cassette for when this new chain wears out. If the new chain shows signs of skipping then change the cassette now.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
chain pliers.jpg
KMC, always. You should be able to undo the quick link with your fingers, but sometimes they are really stubborn and a pair of special pliers can be very handy.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
As Skol said above, KMC X9 is a perfectly good chain and is non-directional and easy to fit. Just make sure you get one with the same number of links as your old one (don’t ask me how I know that..) For the extra couple of quid I go for the X9-93 as I think it looks cleaner when on the bike (outer plates are shiny nickel plated) but it’s just as functional as the cheaper 73.

If you buy from a local shop, they should shorten it to length if it’s needed.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I always used to use Sachs chains back in the day. They were bought by SRAM some time ago so I started using SRAM chains. More recently I have used KMC, I reckon I've got 3 of each on the go at the moment and can't tell between them quality wise so I would just buy the cheaper of the two whichever it happens to be on the day :okay:

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Found the kmc x9 73 in my local decathlon store . Will pick up one tomorrow. So when I buy a new chain does it give you pins in the pack or do I need to buy pins ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Found the kmc x9 73 in my local decathlon store . Will pick up one tomorrow. So when I buy a new chain does it give you pins in the pack or do I need to buy pins ?
KMC chains come with one link that you can assemble by hand, a quick link. You don't need a chain tool to assemble it. Search on YouTube to see how you fit them.

Edit: You'll need a chain tool to reduce the length of the new chain to suit the gearing on your bike before you fit the quick link.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
KMC chains come with one link that you can assemble by hand, a quick link. You don't need a chain tool to assemble it. Search on YouTube to see how you fit them.

Edit: You'll need a chain tool to reduce the length of the new chain to suit the gearing on your bike before you fit the quick link.
Cheers slowmotion. Think that's all I need to know .

DRM

Guru
No problem,
….errrgh….not quite. You need to know how long the assembled chain should be. Lookee here.....
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html
all I did was was remove the chain on mine, count the number of links and cut the new chain to the same amount of links, allowing for the quick link, so -1 link, dead easy, you shouldn't need to calculate the length if it's a like for like swap, only really on a new frame build.

Top Bottom