chain replacement nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
chain replacement nightmare.

does anyone know how to identify a chain to establish the correct fitting procedure?

The world according to Shimano, in relation to their tricksy chain links and directionality, is described from pg 41 to 43 of their 2013 General Ops dealer manual here. Similarly their BS guide in relation to chain length is on page 15 and 16.

The fact of the matter, is nearly everybody else on earth seem to be doing just fine with quick links, big big plus 2 or (imho even better still) chain length calculator... So the first thing I do is to identify the Shimano label on the chain packaging, so that I can avoid them. :whistle:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Here is the one that works for me - Chain Length Calculator, but unless I'm changing the cassette to one with larger cogs I simply measure the new chain against the old - allowing for any 'stretch' in the old chain.

OP
OP
simonplatt

simonplatt

Über Member
if chains are to make shifting easier then they must be handed rather than directional. eg: the writing on the inside or outside, makes the chain right or left handed, the writing being the right way up makes it directional. in other methods eg: the open link on new chain facing forward could be fitted in 2 ways.
surely they must be handed and directional?

everything points to shimano being the only directional chain, but in reference to my raleigh with hyperglide, earlier posts say that hg cassettes need hg chains, and there is a kmc which is hg compatable!

the shimano hg chain is in 6/7/8 ,

Code:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cn-hg40-6-7-8-speed-116-link-chain/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360494132

but things suggest that hyperglide is directional (or/and handed) and 6/7/8 isn't. :eek:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I looked at RecordAceFromNew's link above (thanks for that) to the Shimano Dealers info and on p41 it states:
'In order to obtain good gear shifting performance, CN-M980 / HG94 / HG74 / HG54, CN-7901 / 6701 / 5701 / 4601 have a forward

side and a reverse side, and the sides are marked so that the chain will face the correct way when installed. The proper design
performance will be obtained when the chain is installed so that it faces the correct way. If it is installed so that it faces the
opposite way, the chain may come off and the bicycle may fall over and serious injury may occur as a result.'
As thought, HG40 chains are NOT directional,and the advice about direction of fitting concerns using the supplied link/pin.
If you use a KMC quicklink you have to remove a pair of outer plates anyway, so this advice is not relevant

if chains are to make shifting easier then they must be handed rather than directional. eg: the writing on the inside or outside, makes the chain right or left handed, the writing being the right way up makes it directional. in other methods eg: the open link on new chain facing forward could be fitted in 2 ways.
surely they must be handed and directional?

everything points to shimano being the only directional chain, but in reference to my raleigh with hyperglide, earlier posts say that hg cassettes need hg chains, and there is a kmc which is hg compatable!

the shimano hg chain is in 6/7/8 ,

Code:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cn-hg40-6-7-8-speed-116-link-chain/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360494132

but things suggest that hyperglide is directional (or/and handed) and 6/7/8 isn't. :eek:

Depends if its on the top or bottom run :whistle:

Top Bottom