Chain Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello agan

Should I replace the chain to the exact same length as existing, or is ONE more link going to be a show stopper - I am loathed to break the chain just for one link and the KMC 10 speed chain came with a quicklink so I can go on as is?

Hmmm

iluvmybike

Über Member
Chain needs to be correct length - if too long the rd cage will not sit correctly. No big deal to remove a link or two if you have a decent chain tool

T4tomo

Guru
Shorten it, too long can effect rear shifting, you want chain as short as possible but still be able to do big - big combo, incase you screw up and end up selecting that combo.

also it takes about 30 seconds to pop a (pair of) link(s) off with a decent chain tool.

also remember to include the quick link when comparing or measuring lengths.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Unless you fitted the current chain (and got it the correct length at the time) I recommend you do the 'large/large not through the RD, plus one inch link' check before cutting.
It was setup by the Giant Dealer / as factory fitted. First time replacement

iluvmybike

Über Member
There could be special cases, but surely the chain maker expects the user to shorten a new chain to the correct length for the particular bike?
It is unusual to NOT have to shorten a chain indeed - I can only recall that happening once in all my exeprience :smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
On my touring bike, I throw the whole chain on. The Moulton needs slightly more than one chain!

On other road bikes, I have the jockey wheels in a vertical plane when in the highest gear (e.g. 53 x 13).

I don't care about big-big. I never use it. In the early 90s, MTBers often ran short road mechs, for several good reasons, and big-big wasn't possible.

Top Bottom