Chain Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teletext45

Hey guys, please bare with me because i'm RUBBISH when it comes to bike mechanics!

I've just recently replaced my chain. Did the ususal ensured it was the correct length and re-indexed the gears to be sure. Now ever since i replaced it the chain keeps skipping around on the cassette. After speaking to a few people about this issue i'm getting mixed opinions.... Some say you should replaced the casette with every chain replacment, someone said 4 chains before a casette.. What is the actuall rule? is my old cassette possible the cause of the skipping??

cheers

andy

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
in your case you should have replaced the casette too - its jumping because the casette is too worn.

many schools of thought - personally I replace my chain before it reaches the 0.75% wear mark on the park tool chain wear indicator i have that way the casette and chainrings last a very long time.

You can however run the chain until it dies and replace the whole transmission - they will all wear togeether

or put a sucession say 4 of chains on and rotate, going back to the original one after a while

but ill sticck to replacing the chain before things get too bad

EYE-TYE-MAD

Hey guys, please bare with me because i'm RUBBISH when it comes to bike mechanics!

I've just recently replaced my chain. Did the ususal ensured it was the correct length and re-indexed the gears to be sure. Now ever since i replaced it the chain keeps skipping around on the cassette. After speaking to a few people about this issue i'm getting mixed opinions.... Some say you should replaced the casette with every chain replacment, someone said 4 chains before a casette.. What is the actuall rule? is my old cassette possible the cause of the skipping??

cheers

andy

Chain skip can be the result of a number of factors, I'm afraid it's just a process of elimination. 1. A stiff chain link. 2. Indexing out of adjustment. 3. Sticky cable or incorrect cable length. 4. Wrong chain width. 5. Damaged or faulty rear mech. It's not necessary to replace the cassette every time you fit a new chain because not every rider inflicts the same degree of cruelty, there really is no rule of thumb on cassette replacement. So, run through the obvious & if none of the above sorts things it is most certainly the cassette that is the culprit.

OP
OP
teletext45

teletext45

i've wacked a new cassette on today and it's perfect now. I think i just pushed my luck with a not particularly good chain by getting 2000 miles out of it. Think im gonna change it at about 1500 next time.

boydj

Legendary Member
Buy a chain-measuring tool and replace the chain when it passes the 0.75 mark. That way you'll get 3 or 4 chains to a cassette. Chain wear depends very much on the riding conditions and commuting in all weathers can easily wear a chain out in less then 1000 miles.

Top Bottom