Chain ring guards: good or bad??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks

I see that on the HPV safety rules they require a chain guard over the main cog.

"
the chainring must be covered by either a fixed shield or by a strong rotating chainguard (including those with a single chainring)
"

Any thoughts as to where to get such a gadget and would it be a good idea for a road going machine??

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/chainguards.aspx

CS

graham adamson

Regular
DIY job I reckon

OP
OP
currystomper
I agree the only downsides I can see are: the extra wieght and not being able to embed your chain ring into any cars that pull out in front of you.

I ordered a chain ring bash guard from ebay - I fit it and tell you how I got on.

CS

starhawk

Not an issue for me, the trike came with a chainguard and I can see no reason to remove it, and no car has presented it's side to me since I started rolling on three wheels

byegad

Legendary Member
Necessary for racing where collisions with other racers are likely, but hardly necessary on the road for normal riding. One of my Tadpoles has one the other hasn't and I see no reason to fit one.

plot72

I put a 10 speed chain ring and fitted the chain around the smaller cog of 36t then over the Larger 52t cog I used heavy duty B&Q sticky Gas Tape over the teeth. seems a reasonable bargain bodge.

Top Bottom