Chain ring recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Cheers, Dave.
Some opinions on chainring toothage would be welcome too. I like around 69 gear inches for my riding and I currently achieve this with 44:17.
I'm changing the ring and I'll change the freewheel (yeah freewheel) at the same time. If I went 46:18 I'd get roughly the same ratio. Can anyone think of a reason to go one way or another?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
More teeth in contact with chain is better, thus going bigger at front to say 48 x18 or bigger would IMO allow for longer life of chain rings. However a worn chain will chew through teeth no matter what. After starting of on 42 x 16 I went to 48 x16 and much prefer it. Suits my riding style.

D

Deleted member 1258

Cheers, Dave.
Some opinions on chainring toothage would be welcome too. I like around 69 gear inches for my riding and I currently achieve this with 44:17.
I'm changing the ring and I'll change the freewheel (yeah freewheel) at the same time. If I went 46:18 I'd get roughly the same ratio. Can anyone think of a reason to go one way or another?

If the cog and chainring size suits you is there any reason to change it? If you want a gear thats a tad higher or lower then its a good idea to do it when changing worn cogs or rings.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
If the cog and chainring size suits you is there any reason to change it? If you want a gear thats a tad higher or lower then its a good idea to do it when changing worn cogs or rings.
My current chainring is coming to the end of its useful life. I do want to keep the same gear but would like the option of two teeth fewer on the flop side of the hub if for eg, day three of a tour was going to be particularly hilly. It seems 15 tooth free wheels - I would prob cram a freewheel on the 'fixed' side too - are difficult to get hold of so from that angle perhaps it makes sense to choose a larger chainring?
Does that make sense? I know I'm probably over-thinking this and will likely stick to one gear in the end but just to keep my options open...

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Purely anecdotal of course, but I ride 50 x 18 and am still on the original chainring, 46,000 miles later and it's still in good nick.
This is mine after something like 15,000. It isn't the best quality and I think it looks a bit 'sharky'. What do you reckon?
image.jpg

Sharky

Guru
I've been compared to a few things in my time, but a chain ring!

D

Deleted member 1258

My current chainring is coming to the end of its useful life. I do want to keep the same gear but would like the option of two teeth fewer on the flop side of the hub if for eg, day three of a tour was going to be particularly hilly. It seems 15 tooth free wheels - I would prob cram a freewheel on the 'fixed' side too - are difficult to get hold of so from that angle perhaps it makes sense to choose a larger chainring?
Does that make sense? I know I'm probably over-thinking this and will likely stick to one gear in the end but just to keep my options open...

Makes sense if what you want is hard to find.

martinclive

Über Member
My Gary Fisher Triton (Trek) came with 48 : 20 - changed it to 48:18 (freewheel) fairly quickly (so around 69 / 70 inches) - and changed the chain then too - and have done about 6500 miles in all weathers since then and the chainring and chain and cog all still in great condition - love the ratio - but then most of my cycling is on the flat and it is only extreme tail or headwinds that cause any issue

Top Bottom