Chain rub in only one gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

I recently changed my rear cassette to a shimano 11-32 and put on a medium rear derailleur + new KMC chain. Everything is fine apart from one little niggle. Everything is nice and quiet except for when i'm in the 4th sprocket down; it makes that clicking noise as if it's trying to change up to the next gear. Changing up to the 3rd sprocket stops the noise and changing down to the 5th stops it too. Everything else seems indexed fine. I've also checked the rear derailleur alignment and it's spot on. If i tighten the cable for the rear derailleur, the noise stops, but it throws the indexing out slightly for the other gears and they all then make the rubbing noise. Just putting a bit of tension on the shifter as i ride stops the noise, so it's just as if this certain gear doesnt index quite right.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New cables if you haven't. Probably muck in there somewhere.

Hi all

I recently changed my rear cassette to a shimano 11-32 and put on a medium rear derailleur + new KMC chain. Everything is fine apart from one little niggle. Everything is nice and quiet except for when i'm in the 4th sprocket down; it makes that clicking noise as if it's trying to change up to the next gear. Changing up to the 3rd sprocket stops the noise and changing down to the 5th stops it too. Everything else seems indexed fine. I've also checked the rear derailleur alignment and it's spot on. If i tighten the cable for the rear derailleur, the noise stops, but it throws the indexing out slightly for the other gears and they all then make the rubbing noise. Just putting a bit of tension on the shifter as i ride stops the noise, so it's just as if this certain gear doesnt index quite right.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Mark
That's typical of a cable problem. Usually a strategic kink at a junction of sorts. Remove the inner, check that it is straight and smooth throughout.

jasonsavage

Regular
Rubs are often an alignment thing too, the front derailer has a line showing how it should line up with the chain, it;s worth checking out some youtube vids, I've learned pretty much all my mechanical knowledge from that .... that and many bodge jobs over the years, a learn by doing is always cheaper then taking it to the shop.

Top Bottom