Chain skip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I hope you all are enjoying this great weather and getting plenty of riding in. Now to business, after fitting a new rear mech, chain and rear cassette(previous post) I have the gear change set up ok but am experiencing chain skip especially in the mid range when I put pressure on to gain momentum after having to slow down. Any advice will alway be appreciated. Thank you.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Just carried out similar upgrade and encountered same problem. Checked out a few online videos and they seem to suggest skipping is result of cable being too tight. I am sure that you will receive a more knowledgable response from another member soon and I'd be interested myself...

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Think I've sorted my issue - cables. Used a pair of pliers to cut housings and did a bad job of it. Off to get some proper cable cutters later. Not sure if that might also be something for you to check Cyclobud67?

OP
OP
cyclobud67

cyclobud67

Regular
Is the chain the same length as the previous one?
Hi Milkfloat, as the new rear mech has a long arm where as the old mech a short arm, when I fitted the new chain it came as 114 link length I only reduced it by 2 links. Do you think by removing a further 2 links it will increase the arm tension on the chain and prevent chain skip?

OP
OP
cyclobud67

cyclobud67

Regular
Front ring, rear hanger alignment, wrong chain or cassette.
Hi Screenman, the front to rear mech alignment looks good, the chain is for a 9 speed cassette so should be right, the new rear mech is a long arm to accommodate the larger rear cassette now a 11 to 32. I am looking at shortening the chain to increase arm tension on the chain as the skip is over the gear rather than up or down the cassette.

OP
OP
cyclobud67

cyclobud67

Regular
Think I've sorted my issue - cables. Used a pair of pliers to cut housings and did a bad job of it. Off to get some proper cable cutters later. Not sure if that might also be something for you to check Cyclobud67?
Hi Cp40Carl, thank you for that info, I am waiting to see if any more replies with options to consider, I have a feeling it may be due to chain length as it is skipping over the cassette rather than up or down the gear.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi Screenman, the front to rear mech alignment looks good, the chain is for a 9 speed cassette so should be right, the new rear mech is a long arm to accommodate the larger rear cassette now a 11 to 32. I am looking at shortening the chain to increase arm tension on the chain as the skip is over the gear rather than up or down the cassette.

You cannot check alignment by eye very well. I have never known a slack chain alone cause skipping. Once it is on the sprocket front and rear it is no longer slack in the pulling part.

Top Bottom