Chain Skipping after new Chain, Cassette and RD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Greetings all,

Due to decreasing shifting performance along with a bashed up RD, and the knowledge that both my chain and cassette were worn, last night I replaced all three on my Triban 3. I've gone with a HG50 12-25 cassette, KMC chain and Claris RD.

Everything works fine except when in my big chainring, if I put down lots of power the chain comes off the chain ring. Now I've done 6000+ miles on this chainset and it hasn't admittedly seen the best of care. That being said, the cage on the Claris RD is about 1" longer than the 2300 RD I was using, but then the RD cage doesn't look particularly stretched or at too jaunty an angle.

So my guess is the reason it's doing it would be the chainset is worn. Does anyone agree with me? Assuming that's the case, what tools will I need to install a Claris Triple chainset? Some research has suggested to me my current BB is square taper whereas the new Claris one would be Octalink, so I assume I'd need a new BB. Also how can I go about finding out what crank length I need? I also saw something about "chainline", I now know what this means but do not know how I'd find out which BB I'd need to match my set up.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Tom :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did you lengthen the chain by a couple of links to allow for the longer derailleur cage?

Can you post a pic on here of the chainset so that we can see the BB type and how worn the teeth are? It might be cheaper to buy new chainrings, which any bike shop can supply.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
This is the chainset, hope the image isn't too big.

big_800PX_mediacom_434724822.jpg

I did try to add a couple of links to the new chain (had measured it for the old RD before) but my skills with the chain tool aren't very good and I can't seem to put a chain back together without getting a stiff link where I put it back together =/ I have another chain however so if anyone thinks its worth me trying a longer chain then I can give that a go.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Fair :smile: At work at the moment so will get a photo at lunch. I was just linking for the sake of the BB.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Here it is. I'm inclined to think it's probably the chainset, could be wrong though of course. It's certainly well used!

media

P.S - yes, my bike needs a clean :smile:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Here's another go at the image - linking from MightyText can be a pain and I can't upload while at work...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Eek! Replace that outer ring, it's goosed. You should be able to do it without taking the crankset off. You might need to invest in a small tool for holding the chainring nuts while you undo / do up the bolts.

You must be some kind of thunderthighs to have caused that much wear on the big ring. What do you put on your cornflakes?

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Allbran and Country Crisp combo for breakfast ;)

Can someone link me up to a suitable chainring? Cheers.

EDIT: I'm guessing it'd be cheaper to replace the chainring, but should I consider replacing the whole chainset?

Another EDIT! :smile: : I'd quite like to replace the crankset and bottom bracket really, given that I haven't maintained any of the stuff in that area very well. What tools would I need to remove the chainset along with square taper BB and install the claris octalink chainset along with an octalink BB?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If you just replace the chainrings the ones I've found in 130mm BCD size are a choice of Dural alloy rings at £14 a piece or harder wearing Zicral alloy at £29 from Spa Cycles.

If you decide to replace the lot you will need a crank puller (ones that do square taper and Octalink are available) and a Shimano compatible bottom bracket tool. Also a spanner suitable for your pedals (either a dedicated pedal spanner or a normal 15mm one might do the trick). Don't forget when removing the chainset that the left hand pedal and the drive side bottom bracket cup are left hand threaded, so to undo them they turn clockwise.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If there is no play in the BB then leave it, no point in replacing something that is not broken. I would just replace the large chainring

Top Bottom