Chain Skipping after new Chain, Cassette and RD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You buy a new (identical) chainset from Decathlon and simply replace all of the chain rings for around £34.99 if you are happy with the mileage you got from the originals.
this is the original we have the on the T3's but it is now showing as out of stock in the warehouse so you would need to ring around the stores to see if they had any in stock. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/7-8-9s-road-triple-chainset-id_2569409.html.

I have to confess that I replaced the entire chainset with a Shimano FS2303 one for around £45 instead, which was a 30/42/52 teeth combination instead of the decathlon 30/39/50 combination, so the middle and bigger chainrings are slightly bigger now, but technically the front derailleur is restricted to max 50 teeth combinations, however I have had no issues setting it up to handle 52 teeth.

You will be able to switch out the middle and outer chainrings without the need to remove the pedals, after that point you will need the tools mentioned above (but without the BB tool).

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Are the Zicral chainrings actually compatible with 8 speed? Everywhere I look it says only 9/10 speed :sad:

EDIT: Nevermind, I've bought the Dural chainring instead. Thanks everyone :smile:

Reactions: 4F

Tim Hall

Up thread a bit, you mentioned you get a stiff link when joining the chain. Two ways to fix this: easiest, but not always successful, is to flex the chain back and forth across the normal way it bends. The other, and better, way, is to use your chain tool. It's got two positions. For removing or replacing a rivet you use the lower position, with the lower chain plate pressing against the anvil on the tool. To loosen a stiff link, use the upper position. Here the lower chain plate is in thin air, so a slight tweak on the tool will move the plate away from its neighbour, loosening the link..

Stephen C

Über Member
Are the Zicral chainrings actually compatible with 8 speed? Everywhere I look it says only 9/10 speed :sad:

EDIT: Nevermind, I've bought the Dural chainring instead. Thanks everyone :smile:

I had this thought, they are fine with an 8 speed, been running the Zicral chainrings for a week now and they work perfectly.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I'm not trying to be funny, but ... when you looked at that big ring, didn't you think "STREWTH - THAT LOOKS TERRIBLY WORN!!!" :whistle: :thumbsup:

Ha, honestly not long after I got it I thought it looked worn, but everyone told me it was just special teeth for changing gear. Since then I honestly haven't paid much attention as it's always looked worn to me anyway...

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
My old chainrings had "ramps and pins" to aid shifting. These new ones don't. Is that going to be a problem?

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Installed big chainring (couldn't get new middle one without taking off whole crank), and it now shifts really slowly. More fertling required I think...

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Installed big chainring (couldn't get new middle one without taking off whole crank), and it now shifts really slowly. More fertling required I think...
It's a bit fiddly, but I am sure that I can usually get the middle ring off with removing the crank. No way to avoid it with the granny ring though.

As for the lack of ramps/pins on the rings. See how you get on. If all else fails, you could try filing down 3 teeth on the big and middle rings down by about 1/3. It helps the chain come off or get picked up. If you do it, don't file off more than 30%, choose equally-spaced teeth, and don't blame me if it goes wrong! (I have done it and it worked for me.)

Top Bottom