Chain Slipping - Crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Since buying my new shiny B'twin Ultra 700 back in September I've been using it almost daily.

My chain is slipping on my big ring (hah) and not catching. I suspect it's down to general wear-and-tear. In fact, looking at my bike stats on Strava i've put 645mi through it so... maybe that's it? I replaced my chain with another 105 model after the winter break and that's catching the rear cassette no bother, slips up and down with ease.

I've ordered up a new 50t ring to be safe but would welcome any other diagnosticians weighing in on what might be the issue and if there are any interim measures i can take to make it work that little bit better.

S-Express

645 miles is not very much to be honest - much less than a month's riding for some. Either way, the chain should not be worn over that kind of distance, assuming you have looked after it reasonably. Might be useful to put up a photo of the chain/chainset for closer examination.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Chain was goosed; picked up too much grime and salt from the roads, even with adequate lubrication it dried out and rusted. Was just easier to replace it. Will get a pic up shortly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chains do take a battering once the roads are gritted, especially if you do not have mudguards on your bike.

I think it is worth making an effort to clean your chain after mucky rides. If not, then you will be getting through chains, cassettes and chainrings more quickly than you need to.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Is it slipping under load (worn cog) or not engaging with the chain when you shift up (cable tension on front mech)

The latter! I wonder if that's the issue...

U

User6179

Stick a pic of your big ring up, side on view of the teeth .

midlife

Guru
Chain rings can get very worn and still function ok. BITD I used to see the teeth worn down to tiny little shark fins lol

Shaun

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it slipping under load (worn cog) or not engaging with the chain when you shift up (cable tension on front mech)
I'd go with cable tension as well. The bikes quite new, has it had its 'service' dhd ? That's when you'd hope they tweek the cables because they usually stretch when new. Loss of tension will give the FD less pull upwards, so failing to engage the big ring properly.

Depends upon the quality of the chain and what they've been riding on/through. I had a recent case on a Dr Bike session for a brand new bike, which didn't have mudguards, which had done about 200 miles total. The chain, being about 6 weeks old, had never been cleaned but was more than 1% stretched and slipping like mad. The rider had however been going daily on the infamous Luton-Dunstable Busway with its surface of crushed limestone - see example below.

When it's wet, the dust is like grinding paste.
20150507_164110.jpg

20150618_154030.jpg

Top Bottom