Chain Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Looks like a six or seven speed freewheel, budget level Shimano (like mine). I get chain slippage on the small ring if I crossover my chain from the small ring on the front but not if I am on the middle or big ring at the front. The smallest ring on the back has the least number of teeth for the chain to grab onto and crossing over makes the chain run at an angle which reduces grip further.

OP
OP
J

JAW2020

Can't see much of the cassette, but I would say that the derailleur clamp is too far forward in the dropout, it should be all the way back. Not sure if that would have any bearing on chain slip
Hi since this picture I have pushed the derailleur back fully and yes it still slips under pressure .. my cassette is approx 3 year old and chain only a week.. the bike wasn’t used for 2 years properly until after lockdown lifted in June ..

OP
OP
J

JAW2020

Looks like a six or seven speed freewheel, budget level Shimano (like mine). I get chain slippage on the small ring if I crossover my chain from the small ring on the front but not if I am on the middle or big ring at the front. The smallest ring on the back has the least number of teeth for the chain to grab onto and crossing over makes the chain run at an angle which reduces grip further.
[/QUOTE
Unfortunately I can’t afford expensive cassettes .. on a budget ..

Lovacott

Über Member
Unfortunately I can’t afford expensive cassettes .. on a budget

Same here but chain slip is not exclusive to cheaper components.

I'm pretty confident that you have a freewheel on the back as opposed to a cassette. I'm almost certain I have the exact same one.

1603979675325.png

A lot of it is down to how you use your gears. If you are on the small ring at the front, you put a pretty big load on the chain and if you also use the small ring on the back at the same time, that load is shared amongst fewer teeth.

Does the chain slip on the small ring at the back when you are on the large ring at the front?

Ajax Bay

Guru
it still slips under pressure .. my cassette is approx 3 year old and chain only a week
Unfortunately I can’t afford expensive cassettes .. on a budget ..
If you want your chain to stop slipping, you must procure and fit a new freewheel. A chain and sprockets wear together. The chain elongates because of wear and after a thousand miles (say) the sprockets start wearing to the point that, when you fit a new chain, the sprockets are too worn and the chain slips on it.
Did the old chain slip? No? Have you still got it? If so refit and ride on. Otherwise, fit a new freewheel. From the image I agree with @Lovacott 's guess that it's a freewheel (and my family has several bikes with freewheels too), but it could be a cassette. Neither are expensive but only one will fit your wheel. See this Sheldon Brown page to differentiate. Image from that site:

1603981746662.png

Lovacott

Über Member
If you want your chain to stop slipping, you must procure and fit a new freewheel.

I replaced the Freewheel, chain and crank assembly all at the same time. It's like having a new bike.

Whole job came to under £60 quid including the cost of the freewheel removal tool (Bikehut from Halfords).

I used all Shimano parts.

I'm a bit more careful about how I use my gears now and I only use the small rings on the back on level ground or downhill for speed.

Lovacott

Über Member
Can't see much of the cassette, but I would say that the derailleur clamp is too far forward in the dropout, it should be all the way back. Not sure if that would have any bearing on chain slip
Taking a closer look at the picture and I can't see that the derailleur is actually being used?

It looks like the chain is bypassing the derailleur altogether?

1604032020720.png

Reactions: C R

Lovacott

Über Member
Yes, you are correct, most curious.
It would appear to be a cheap fix where the OP has fitted a shorter chain and converted the bike to a three speed maybe? (just using the front rings for gear changes).

If I were going to do that (I wouldn't) I'd use the third or fourth ring on the back.

Top Bottom