Chain Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Another thought. .. is it slipping or is the derailleur arm chattering back and forth. If it's then the jockey wheels need replacement.

Lovacott

Über Member
Another thought. .. is it slipping or is the derailleur arm chattering back and forth. If it's then the jockey wheels need replacement.
From the OP's picture, the derailleur arm isn't part of the equation. :smile:) :smile:)

DRM

Guru
Yes, The derailleur is playing no part, there is also rust on the "new chain" if this isn't a Mickey take the op needs to take it to a bike shop to be repaired properly.

Lovacott

Über Member
Yes, The derailleur is playing no part, there is also rust on the "new chain" if this isn't a Mickey take the op needs to take it to a bike shop to be repaired properly.
Looks like a whole chain has been taken from another bike and thrown over a ring at the front and a ring at the back.

Surprise surprise it didn't work.

Next move is to join a forum and ask them how to fix a slipping chain.

Either that, or it is a bored student in isolation in halls who is taking the Michael.

My money is on the latter and fair play to them. They got three pages out of it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
there is also rust on the "new chain"
See my post #15. How would the OP know his chain was skating if he hadn't ridden it (quite likely in the rain or on wet roads this last fortnight)? And then left for 12+ hours without care it'll exhibit surface rust. Doesn't mean it's not a 'new' chain - indeed it looks shiny and clean. It'll have the manufacturing lubrication still functioning, but that'll not prevent surface rust.

Reactions: C R

Lovacott

Über Member
See my post #15. How would the OP know his chain was skating if he hadn't ridden it (quite likely in the rain or on wet roads this last fortnight)? And then left for 12+ hours without care it'll exhibit surface rust. Doesn't mean it's not a 'new' chain - indeed it looks shiny and clean. It'll have the manufacturing lubrication still functioning, but that'll not prevent surface rust.
In my field, the time between a "near white metal" shot blast and a primer coat is limited to 20 minutes.

Anything which hasn't got a primer coat within 20 minutes has to be blasted again.

Mash up a perfectly green avocado and leave it for an hour and it will become a black and slimy oxidised mess.

The same goes for ferrous metals.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
In my field, the time between a "near white metal" shot blast and a primer coat is limited to 20 minutes.

Anything which hasn't got a primer coat within 20 minutes has to be blasted again.

Mash up a perfectly green avocado and leave it for an hour and it will become a black and slimy oxidised mess.

The same goes for ferrous metals.
So you are agreeing with @Ajax Bay

DRM

Guru
Yes and no.

Rust is not an indication of age.

However, rust is an indication of lack of care.
So is not threading it through the derailleur then coming here asking why it doesn’t work right, there’s plenty of videos on you tube that show how to fit and size a new chain

Top Bottom