Chain snap thanks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
And publicly reprimand myself for assuming the two yoofs that emerged from the darkness on mtb's were going to shank me up, when all they wanted to know was how I got my lights so bright and if they could help me.

I'll have to watch this stereotyping, I'll be voting Tory if I don't keep an eye...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just want to thank whatever deity chose 30 seconds from my house for my chain to snap tonight, rather than 25 miles out on the club run yesterday.

:unsure:

That is all I have to say about that.
Seems we both pray to the same deity. Chain snapped a mile from home on a 50 mile loop. Also spoke busted 2 miles from home on another 50 miler. I should put out a few more delicacies on the shrine tonight

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Just want to thank whatever deity chose 30 seconds from my house for my chain to snap tonight, rather than 25 miles out on the club run yesterday.

:unsure:

That is all I have to say about that.
my last chain snapped on the way to visit a potential wedding reception venue last year after the now wife told me to go by car but i fancied a ride.....

got caught in a down pour and turned up an hour late covered in grease as well as being soaking wet.... oopsy

When my chain is getting of a certain age, I make sure I carry a quick link. The last time I had a chain snap on the fixie, I had a damaged link so I rode to the LBS to get a replacement chain. They didn't have one so I rode onto Hellfrauds and bought a chain there, I also bought a couple of quicklinks. Headed of back to the flat to fit in the warm, didn't even get out of the Hellfrauds car park and the link decided to fail!
On the geared, just a month ago I fitted a new chain but when I took it out of the box it was missing a pin (bought months ago an I couldn't remeber where, let alone still have a receipt) so I used a removed pin from another link when I shortened the chain. Predictably got 200-300 miles before having to use the quicklink.

snorri

Legendary Member
, I make sure I carry a quick link. The last time I had a chain snap on the fixie, I had a damaged link so I rode to the LBS to get a replacement chain. They didn't have one so I rode onto Hellfrauds and bought a chain there, I also bought a couple of quicklinks. Headed of back to the flat to fit in the warm, didn't even get out of the Hellfrauds car park and the link decided to fail!
On the geared, just a month ago I fitted a new chain but when I took it out of the box it was missing a pin (bought months ago an I couldn't remeber where, let alone still have a receipt) so I used a removed pin from another link when I shortened the chain. Predictably got 200-300 miles before having to use the quicklink.
Just so much trouble HLaB:sad::sad:, get yourself a car, you know you really want to.^_^

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I was on an Audax riding with a couple of guys I didnt know.One snapped his 8 speed chain on a big hill and didnt have a repair link (2 of us had 10 speed links ).

We had passed a bike shop in a village a few miles back but it was shut. Unbelievably another rider knew the owner of the shop went to his house and was back in 10 minutes with the link.

How lucky was that in rural wales on a Sunday?

The guy that rode back to get the link turned out to be an ex Wales rugby international ,a champion in more ways than one^_^

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
When my chain is getting of a certain age, I make sure I carry a quick link. The last time I had a chain snap on the fixie, I had a damaged link so I rode to the LBS to get a replacement chain. They didn't have one so I rode onto Hellfrauds and bought a chain there, I also bought a couple of quicklinks. Headed of back to the flat to fit in the warm, didn't even get out of the Hellfrauds car park and the link decided to fail!

I had a quick link thankfully, but couldn't be bothered fixing in the dark just up from my house.
Took it home and put a brew on, went back out warm lol.

'Twas my last quick link tho, so the ride this evening was fraught with prayer, and it will continue that way til the wiggle box comes...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Quick links aren't necessary, but a chain tool is. Remove the offending link, rejoin and carry on. Won't be able to use the more extreme gears but it'll get you home.

surfdude

Veteran
only time i had a chain snap was on a Raleigh chopper when i was a lad and it put me out of action for a couple of days as i was stood up at the time and came down on the gear change and did myself a nasty injury :eek::cry:. could not walk for 2 days

Top Bottom