Chain snapped today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
Just wondering why and if I've done something wrong to cause it.

New everything (see pic if you are interested in what) fitted last week.

Wasn't changing gear at the time.

It's a mtb. Screenshot_2016-07-21-21-40-39_1.jpg n

Tim Hall

So a new chain snapped? Prime suspects are manufacturing defect or error in fitting. Did it have a quick link fitted or was it joined using the Shimano magic pin? Wherabouts on the chain did it break?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It can happen. Was it off road when it snapped ?

If it's a new chain, how was it joined. I've given up with Shimano's split pin, and always fit a quick link instead.

If the pin wasn't joined properly, these can seperate.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
On a nice flat piece of tarmac, but I had to stop suddenly and when I started again it went. I don't think it was a fitting issue as the guy who did it is very good.

Unfortunately I didn't take a good look at the chain but it had pulled apart at one of the links I don't think it was where it's joined.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If it was fitted only last week, I'd take it back. Unless you're a super strong rider, and bearing in mind how hard it is to break a chain (I've never managed it), it's either faulty manufacture or faulty fitting, either way the goods sold are not fit for purpose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You wouldn't be able to tell where it's joined unless you look really close as the pin is slightly different. I bin the shimano pins. TBH, I use KMC chains on most of my bikes (Dura Ace on one bike). Take it back if it's that new. If you've been serious off roading, then they can go (but I've never broken one despite some abuse off road).

goody

Veteran
Wouldn't matter if you didn't change down enough you wouldn't be able to snap a properly joined new chain.

toffee

Guru
Had it happen to Mrs T's bike when I changed the chain on it. I took it out for a test ride and it broke 100 metres into the first ride going up a hill. Wiggle replaced the chain and also paid £10 towards a new front mechanical which was taken out with it.

Derek

Top Bottom