chain swap 11 speed Ultegra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With time on my hands I need to swap the chain on an 11 speed ultegra (Di2) - watch a few vids but still have few questions:-

1.Which chain (Kmc/105/ultegra)and link connector to buy

2.Good chain tool recommendations

3.what bothers me most is how to get the new chain to the correct length

thanks all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1. KMC and SRAM Chains are Shimano compatible and come supplied with quicklinks.
2. Chain tools are much the muchness. No need to spend silly money.
3. Easiest way. Lay the old chain on a flat surface, new chain next to it and match link for link.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What @ianrauk but about 2 seconds before me:

I like KMC's rather than Shimano's 11 speed chains - the EL / SL versions are nice but their standard X11 works fine.

In terms of length you should have the original chain. As long as it's the correct length now match the number of links by counting rather than laying it alongside as the old chain will have stretched.

I've a basic chain tool but Park / Lezyne are good.

Sharky

Guru
3. Easiest way. Lay the old chain on a flat surface, new chain next to it and match link for link.
I do similar, but using a 6" nail wedged into the garage door and letting them hang down, but making sure that the links are in step.

Sharky

Guru
Re chain tools, an older chain tool or one you might find in the cycle section in ASDA, could be for 1/8th or 3/32nd chain widths and not suitable for 10 & 11 speed chains.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
ok - which are these chains are ok - and which would be easiest to fit

SRAM

kmc

ultegra

cheap sram

What link kit do I need to buy ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't have a clue what I'm doing but... need to swap the chain on an an 11 speed ultegra (Di2) my very nice, very expensive bike - watch a few vids but still have few questions:-
Please don't be offended but if you still don't get it after watching a few youtube vids then maybe you are just the type who's skills lie in other, less practical areas? Swapping a chain is simple but there are a number of ways it can be messed up and if you don't want your fancy, costly Di2 mech ruining or to risk face planting over the handlebars when the chain snaps the first time you stamp on the pedals then maybe let someone who knows what they are doing fit the chain? The labour cost for a simple quick job like this should be almost insignificant in relation to the value of the bike and certainly cheaper than the possible damage if you get it wrong!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Please don't be offended but if you still don't get it after watching a few youtube vids then maybe you are just the type who's skills lie in other, less practical areas? Swapping a chain is simple but there are a number of ways it can be messed up and if you don't want your fancy, costly Di2 mech ruining or to risk face planting over the handlebars when the chain snaps the first time you stamp on the pedals then maybe let someone who knows what they are doing fit the chain? The labour cost for a simple quick job like this should be almost insignificant in relation to the value of the bike and certainly cheaper than the possible damage if you get it wrong!

There is that. But I want to learn. I just posted on here for any tips about purchases - or hidden gotchas....etc.

The one drawback of posting on here is that whilst most people want to help - others think "how can I make the op look a bit of an arse - and maybe make myself look a bit clever"

Not that it was your line of thinking - hope you're not offended by the above.

Perhaps the maintenance thread should be out of bounds for those trying something for the first time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
FWIW, I have 11spd Ultegra on my 'best' bike and run KMC X11 chain on this which works perfectly. Currently running the plain grey version but do like the look of the silver/black one, just couldn't bring myself to pay the price difference at the time I needed it. The grey chain is mechanically the same as the S/B so take your pick and pay your money.

FWIW#2, I think I offered valid advice above, it's your choice how you take it. There are some really clever people out there, great accountants, skilled medicinal chemists, talented architects, but clever as they are some of them cannot be trusted to run while holding a blunt crayon! That doesn't make them any less clever, you just have to accept that we are all different with different skills (which is a good thing).

If you really want to change your chain yourself maybe find someone experienced who can go through it with you the first time? Videos are ok but sometimes getting hands on with a trainer is the best way.

Top Bottom