Chain tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
Any tips on tensioning a chain using a frame that doesn't have track ends , it's an old 531 road bike ( geared ) frame with semi horizontal dropouts but obv I can't fit a tensioner due to shape of the dropouts I think the jockey wheel type look daft

U

User19783

Check out my chain tugs, I have forward facing dropo out's,
Sorry can't remember me then. But will do more research for you, when I can get a chance.
IMAG0149.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've never found a need for chain tugs. Pull or push the wheel back, tighten one side, centre the wheel and tighten the other side. Check tension and, if necessary, 'walk' the wheel back a bit by loosening one side then the other. Then tighten fully. I have limit screws which help getting the wheel square.

Edit: x-post with Tim.

D

Deleted member 1258

You don't really need them though. "Walk" the wheel back into the dropouts one side at a time and do the nuts up tight.

As Tim says, but don't forget you could have loose or tight spots in the chain so you need to allow for them.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
I've messed about with it and got it not bad , what doesn't help is the spacing on the frame is wider than the hub so it kinda springs outwards and locks/makes it harder than it should be for wheel to move backward , il need to cold set it I think I have a bit of threaded rod thatl do it

Top Bottom