Chain Tension.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclista

How do you guys go about getting the right tension on your fixies without using chain tugs? I have been having a 'mare recently with those pesky fairies, and am having some problems getting the tension set up right by the side of the road. I think I have it spot on but by the time I've done the bolts up there is alot of slack in the chain.

Any advice? (Apart from buy some tugs! :smile:)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nothing is as easy or precise as chain tugs.

ASC1951

Guru
When I'm using solid axles I start with the chain just off-tension, do up one side then push on the rim at the BB with my thumb and do up the other side to bring it up to tension.

The main problem I find is that standard chainrings aren't anything like round enough. It doesn't matter with a derailleur so even the better makes don't bother. All the chaintugs in the world won't help you if your chainring is 2-3mm off round.

The tension doesn't need to be spot on anyway. If it's too tight the chain will wear out quicker, but a bit of slack isn't critical so long as there is no chance of it popping off at either end - on a fixie that really does make your sphincter go half-a-crown, threepenny-bit.

OP
OP
Cyclista

Cyclista

Thanks for the help guys.
ASC1951, that is pretty much the technique that I am using now as well, I was just wondering how others went about it. Not had a chain slip off on me yet, not too sure it's an experience that I want to be honest!
Back to the tugs, I take it the 10mm version of these is what I am going to be needing?

domtyler

Über Member
It just takes a bit of practice to learn the right technique, but chaintugs will prevent you from ever learning how as there will be no need.

As said above, just tighten one side at a time then swap to t'other side.

OP
OP
Cyclista

Cyclista

Somebody said:
Practice makes perfect!

I think I am going to keep going without the tugs for a little while, but if I don't start getting better at it soon (and I'll be getting plenty of practice if the last week or so is anything to go by) I think I'll gho the way of the tug!

Thanks again :ohmy:

Top Bottom