Chain tool query.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Morning all, just a quick query re: chain tool compatability. Are chain tools suitable for all speed chains or does an eleven speed require a particular tool? I assume the pin size on the tool needs to match the pin in the chain or at least be fractionally smaller. Thanks. Gez

midlife

Guru
Is there some sort of quick link on the chain?

Shaun

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Is there some sort of quick link on the chain?

Shaun
What it is really is that I now have an eleven speed road bike but think my chain tool, a Parktool Brute will not work on the chain. Their website mentions only up to ten speed so I would need to carry a different breaker. The chain is not quick link enabled and my spare is a Shimano pin job too. Just wondered if there is a breaker that will cover all speeds as I have 8, and 9 speed bikes too. Gez

winjim

Smash the cistern
Campagnolo 11sp chains require a special tool. However this is not to do with pin diameter but to peen the joining pin after installation as it is this peening which makes the chain fractionally narrower than 10sp. Otherwise I think a 10sp tool should be fine, I've certainly used one on an 11sp KMC chain. I believe the pins do not differ in diameter between speeds, only length, and peening in the case of 11sp, so maybe an 8sp tool say, would not be able to push the pin out far enough or the chain wouldn't sit in the tool properly.

So basically a 10sp tool is fine for breaking an 11sp chain. Don't know how Shimano join their 11sp though.

Last edited:
U

User6179

What it is really is that I now have an eleven speed road bike but think my chain tool, a Parktool Brute will not work on the chain. Their website mentions only up to ten speed so I would need to carry a different breaker. The chain is not quick link enabled and my spare is a Shimano pin job too. Just wondered if there is a breaker that will cover all speeds as I have 8, and 9 speed bikes too. Gez

Not sure if it is 11 speed compatible but the pin on the park tool is replaceable so you might just need to get a new pin that works with 11 speed .

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Thanks folks, been on Topeak site and the Alien II works on all so I will carry that instead of the Brute. Gez

The pins are universal in diameter, the length differs, the length of the screw in the chain breaker that pushes the pins out has to be longer on 8 speed and below.

I use this for 9 / 10 and 11 speed chains.

image.jpeg

It's a Birzman damsel fly.

Top Bottom