Chain tug question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
They look as though they will hook over the back of a normal dropout, & at that price I would give it a go.

ayceejay

Guru
They are a rip off of a design made for a track frame with dropouts as shown in the picture
dropout with tug.jpg
chain tugs.jpg
rear dropout.jpg

What you want is a chain tug for forward facing drop outs of the kind used by Vanmoof. BTW You really only need one on the tranny side.

Ive got a pair knocking around in my pen mug on my desk- when I get back to work I'll see if they have an identifiable brand name on them.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
They look as though they will hook over the back of a normal dropout, & at that price I would give it a go.
I gave them a whirl, but couldn't get a satisfactory fit: the threaded piece fouls the dropout.

If you turn them around so that the tug doesn't engage the slot in the dropout, then the part of the tug that hooks over the rear of the dropout doesn't sit square and I wouldn't trust it to be secure.

I dare say that some work with a file and/or washers could sort this out, but I've not had problems with the wheel slipping so I'm not that fussed, I just wanted to experiment.

rb58

Enigma
I don't worry about the tug being secure - it's just a device to help get the chain tension right. The security comes from the correct torque on the track nuts.

Top Bottom