Chain wear and tool.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by wisdom, 6 Mar 2018.

Tags:
  1. wisdom

wisdom Veteran

I have bought a silverline chainchecker(I know I know but it was in a shop I was in)!!!
    Now its' telling me the chain is us.It is mickled every week and the bike is used every day to commute to work.
    It's a kmc chain is 12 months about right for a chain or is the checker no good in reality.

2. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

Chain wear is more a mileage and dirt thing rather than time thing. How far is your commute? Are you riding on roads or through a mud bath?

Many simple chain checkers, including the one you have, over estimate wear. @Yellow Saddle noted is a post some time ago:

3. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

How long is a piece of string?
    12 months is a meaningless measurement, you might have done 50 miles or 5000 miles in that time and it could have been uphill all the way. I see you are in Blackpool, if you ride anywhere near the front then I guess your drivetrains will have regularly been exposed to sand and salt which certainly won't help.
    Have you any idea how far the bike has covered with this chain?
    If it is any relevance, I usually get around 1500 miles from a chain before it reaches an indicated 1.0% wear. This is commuting in all weathers and while I am not massively fussy about chain fettling it rarely runs dry.

Edit: Just realised I had typed 1.5% wear (double the 0.75% mark) but actually mean 1%

Last edited: 7 Mar 2018
    Paulus and HLaB like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    wisdom

wisdom Veteran

15 miles a day 5 days per week equates to around 3750 miles so all considering and given it's all weather' I guess it wouldn' be a bad idea to change it.
    Many thanks for the replies.:surrender:

Paulus, biggs682 and I like Skol like this.
  5. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

And cassette swap on the cards too. No chance a new chain will run on the old cassette at this point.

bpsmith likes this.
  6. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Thats good going for sure

7. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

The chainchecker tells the truth (in this instance). Your chain and cassette have worn happily together and continue to be 'in synch' and have benefitted from the OP's good cleaning and lubrication. As @I like Skol says, it's too late to just change the chain. In due course (between very soon and another 500 miles) the chain will start to slip probably in one or more of your middle sprockets when you are putting a bit of power down. My last (9 speed) chain and cassette gave me 5736km (about 3,500 miles).
    If you just replace the chain it will be bad; worse than before you replaced it. I recommend that you swiftly buy a chain and a cassette and hold them ready to replace when the first sign of slip occurs. You will not be damaging anything by carrying on at present. Replacing a cassette and a chain could take as little as 10 minutes (assuming chain whip, lockring tool and a chain with a quick link (already cut to the correct length)), but sensibly a rider would take the opportunity to clean all elements of the drive train at that time - so the OP may prefer to do the change as planned maintenance, given the bike is used for commuting.
    If the OP wants to reduce the cassette changing frequency in future, then expect the chainchecker to say the chain's elongated after about 1000 miles riding and change just the chain.

overmind and Reiver like this.
  8. boydj

boydj Veteran

I wouldn't leave it too long, as you'll be putting additional wear on the chainring(s).

Ajax Bay likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice