chain wear at 1.0 marker...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
OK so I may have left it too late...with my Park Chain wear indicator it will comfortably sit in the '1.0' marker. Will i need to replace the cassette too?
Cassette was last replaced at same time as last chain replacement.

park-tool-cc-3-chain-wear-indicator-IMG13581.jpg

Camrider

Buy new chain, fit it and see what happens.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If you spend a lot of time in one favourite gear you may find it skips as those teeth will be more worn than the other cogs that get less useage.

You might get away with it, my last KMC chain/ SRAM cassette was at 4000 winter miles when I changed the chain bought a new cassette too but never needed it, despite the chain being well past 1% for several thousand miles; I doubt if a cheaper or shimano cassette would be OK though, they never have been for me.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I worked mine out to be over 1.5% when i changed it, thought it would be okay at first glance but it was so bad that 3 of the sprockets would skip even under very light pressure and another 2 were also unusable, leaving me with just the extremes near the 11 or 32. When i looked at it closely to take the cassette off, it was really obvious that the teeth in the middle sprockets were really thin compared to those in the less used ones.

I basically swapped the chains, then swapped them back (put the old one back on with powerlink) while i ordered a cassette. :smile:

Top Bottom