Wear to chainstay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

You'll get plenty8 of warning of future failure. A crack will develop in line with the deepest part of the groove and grow into the painted area. When you do your weekly bike clean and inspection (yoiu do that, don't you?) you should inspect the area where the paints starts for evidence of a crack. It will show up as a black line in both the naked alu and in the paint. Eventually the crack will start to give you audible warnings - creaks and pops, that's when you start shopping around for a new bike.

Drink a beer, go ride and revel in the fact that you've learnt that softer materials can abrade hard materials without any damage to the former.

That's one of the most perfect answers I've ever been given

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Hi everyone well I've changed the bearings in this rear hub and I've noticed there is still some play in the wheel is there another reason why there is play apart from bearings

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How the heck do you not notice that? it must have being providing significant extra resistance and noise?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How the heck do you not notice that? it must have being providing significant extra resistance and noise?
I once rode a 200 km audax without noticing that my back brake was rubbing. I wondered why I felt so tired during the ride. All was revealed when I dismounted at the finish and felt how hard it was to wheel the bike across the car park! :whistle:

A friend had a similar problem on the Manchester 100 event. He struggled through to the stop at 55 miles and only then realised that his rear brake was rubbing.

We reckon that we had knocked the brake calipers when putting the bikes into the car to take to the events.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thinking about this thread, I just checked my 6-speed bike and spotted that I had come perilously close to eroding its righthand chainstay. The edge of the tyre was only about 1mm from the stay at the outermost part of the lateral wobble of the slightly untrue wheel's rotation. I hadn't quite seated the wheel axle properly before doing up the quick release. After sorting that out, there is now an extra few mm of clearance.

Top Bottom