Chain Wear Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FuzzBang

4 months ago I bought my first road bike (A Giant Defy 4 with Shimano claris drivetrain). Since then I have been riding it verry regularly and I have just passed 2000 Km. However today I took it to the LBS to get the drivetrain checked as I was having issues with it. It appears that the chain is significantly worn out and a new one has been ordered. However, the mechanic was worried that it had also worn out my rear cassette. So, my question is, should I also replace the cassette, considering i have only had it 4 months and the chain has never been replaced?
And should I restrain from riding the bike until they have been replaced? (for fear of futher damaging the derailure and crankset)
The mechanic also mentioned buying a Nickle plated chain because 'They don't wear as fast and have a longer lifespan.' Is this true and how much longer?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Was it a Shimano spaHGetti chain?

It sounds short life to me but I understand chains are thinner and more twisted on bikes with more gears than mine.

A chain is a consumable and once it is worn beyond a certain point it eats away at the cassette. Cassettes don't last forever but when well managed, will last for three or maybe more chains.
However, let the mechanic fit the new chain and take the bike for a test ride. If the chain does not skip on that cassette in your favourite (most-used) gears under hard pedaling up a hill, then it is good for another chain or two.

Citius

4 months ago I bought my first road bike (A Giant Defy 4 with Shimano claris drivetrain). Since then I have been riding it verry regularly and I have just passed 2000 Km. However today I took it to the LBS to get the drivetrain checked as I was having issues with it. It appears that the chain is significantly worn out and a new one has been ordered. However, the mechanic was worried that it had also worn out my rear cassette. So, my question is, should I also replace the cassette, considering i have only had it 4 months and the chain has never been replaced?
And should I restrain from riding the bike until they have been replaced? (for fear of futher damaging the derailure and crankset)
The mechanic also mentioned buying a Nickle plated chain because 'They don't wear as fast and have a longer lifespan.' Is this true and how much longer?

Thanks

Much depends on how the chain has been looked after in that 4 months. Nickel-plate does not make a chain last longer necessarily - the plating only applies to the outside surfaces, not the rollers. If you don't look after it, it would only last as long as the previous one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wore out my first chain very quickly as I didn't clean it ever so that it became full of gunk, same with my rims of the bike as I didn't clean the brake pads/rims either. Some bike shops like to replace both at the same time, but you can usually get a couple of chains worth before you have to change the cassette.

Changing the chain is pretty easy if you have a chain breaker tool, but the cassette needs a few more tools.

gbb

Legendary Member
2000km = 1200 and a but miles, just about what i always get to my chains, KMC, Shimano, Sram or Veloce, they all last me about the same.
As YS says, consider a chain a consumable. 3 chains for me as well if changed in a timely fashion. (before they've got to .75%)

OP
OP
F

FuzzBang

Looking at the spec on giants website the chain is a KMC Z7. It has not been brilliantly looked after because this is my first road bike and im still learning how to wash and care for it. So, would using an old and slightly worn cassette damage a new chain? And am I okay to continue riding the bike for a few days with the worn chain or will it damage the other components too much?

mjr

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.4/19187/77297/#specifications

Well that's odd because my KMC Z chain lasted longer but maybe it's twisted more on your 2x8 than my 3x7.

Using an old and slightly worn cassette probably won't damage a new chain but it will wear the chain more quickly and might slip, skip or ghost-shift. Using the worn chain probably won't skip or ghost-shift, but it'll be wearing the cassette further, wearing the chainrings more (which you don't mention replacing) and there's an outside chance of it snapping and flailing through something vital back there. For the sake of a few days, I'd keep riding the worn chain but take it gently, avoid mashing and maybe try to avoid the most worn sprockets if you can.

I'd also reconsider the chain care routines. Search for the mickle method.

OP
OP
F

FuzzBang

oh trust me, it is badly worn (the chain ware indicator still has some wobble when set to 0.75), and im trying to get the new parts ASAP. But in the mean time i want to know if i will damage parts like my derailleur and crank set by riding it while im waiting for the replacement parts to arrive.

mjr

OK, seeing as what I wrote was clearly too long: the short answer is "SLIGHTLY" and will it matter? MAYBE.

HTH HAND

OP
OP
F

FuzzBang

Sorry mjray, I didn't see that post while I was writing the last one so I never saw you reply. Thanks for all the help guy, I will be replacing the chain and cassette when they arrive. And I will learn to take care of the drivetrain better.
Thanks to all

A worn cassette will NOT wear out a new chain. The sprockets that are too worn to mesh with the new chain will eject it under force and those that are not worn will simply accommodate the chain without any damage to either.

A new chain is the best measurement tool for whether a cassette is worn or not.

Top Bottom