Chain wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Shimano chains are not great; kmc are better.

+1 for that :thumbsup:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I checked mine after 2.5k of miles over the past nine months and my chain was beyond the 1 on the chain wear measure.
I had the bike serviced to which they put a new chain on at my request, however the cassette is buggered (cadence didn't have any in stock) as the chain slipped on a few of the gear combos when I rode it back home.
Question I have to the forum, I have ordered a new cassette, should I stay off the bike until I replace, or will a couple of commute days be ok?

I would imagine you get the chain slip in the 2 or 3 gears you use most as these are the ones which have worn.
Could you not avoid them and use a slightly different combination till your new cassette arrives and you change it

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Why do you say he should not bother with Shimano?

It's up to the individual, and you will have people that swear by shimano chains. But as others say and myself included, KMC chains are so much easier to use with the missing link. It's dead easy to split the chain to clean it and to remove and replace with a new one.
Don't forget to remove a shimano chain you need to firstly drive the link out, then you need to mess with driving a new one in and breaking the end off.
KMC are a lot easier, I have never used SRAM, but the principle is the same and there are probably people that will sing their praises on here.

Why do you say he should not bother with Shimano?

As the train drivers said above ; )

Plus in my own experience the only chain that has ever let me down, (snapped), was a Shimano :sad:

I do appreciate many people use Shimano, and many others must still choose to buy them as replacements, but I don't personally know anyone who does anymore.

IME KMC X chains last longer and cost less so it's a no brainer IMO.

boydj

Legendary Member
It's up to the individual, and you will have people that swear by shimano chains. But as others say and myself included, KMC chains are so much easier to use with the missing link. It's dead easy to split the chain to clean it and to remove and replace with a new one.
Don't forget to remove a shimano chain you need to firstly drive the link out, then you need to mess with driving a new one in and breaking the end off.
KMC are a lot easier, I have never used SRAM, but the principle is the same and there are probably people that will sing their praises on here.
You don't have to use the special pin to join a Shimano chain, you could easily use a SRAM or KMC missing link on the chain from new. I've found Shimano chains on a par with other makes in terms of wear, so if they are on special offer when I'm in the market for a chain, then I'll buy Shimano.

Hmmmmm. Ever consider using one of those cheap master links on your Shimano chain? They are available loose from several manufacturers. No-one says you have to use the special pin. Condemning a chain without stating the reason doesn't contribute to the understanding of chains or answer the OP's question.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm. Ever consider using one of those cheap master links on your Shimano chain? They are available loose from several manufacturers. No-one says you have to use the special pin. Condemning a chain without stating the reason doesn't contribute to the understanding of chains or answer the OP's question.

Never condemned a chain, it was personal choice, and using the supplied components with the make of chain.
People make their choices and stick with them :thumbsup:

As the train drivers said above ; )

Plus in my own experience the only chain that has ever let me down, (snapped), was a Shimano :sad:

I do appreciate many people use Shimano, and many others must still choose to buy them as replacements, but I don't personally know anyone who does anymore.

IME KMC X chains last longer and cost less so it's a no brainer IMO.
I am yet to come across a snapped chain. In all the failures I've seen, a side plate has separated from its rivet by violent sideways force. This always indicates shifting under power or, powering a jammed chain. It will happen to Shimano, Campagnolo, KMC, Wippermann, you name it.
Whilst faulty rivets can, and do occur, they are certainly not the norm and condemning a brand because you came across a faulty one or broke one by your own fault closes up choices for you. My guess is that your estimate of how long they last is purely subjective based on a small sample under wildly varying conditions or simply anecdotal.

Never condemned a chain, it was personal choice, and using the supplied components with the make of chain.
People make their choices and stick with them :thumbsup:
Well, you supported a statement that they are "not great" without stating your reasons why. Shimano makes a significant range of chains with several choices and price-points within each "speed" range. It seems to me that chains are like religion - you don't have to give reasons why.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Well, you supported a statement that they are "not great" without stating your reasons why. Shimano makes a significant range of chains with several choices and price-points within each "speed" range. It seems to me that chains are like religion - you don't have to give reasons why.

Use the one that you like most and you will be happy :smile:

I've only come across one and on that the link plates had sheared mid way along their length.
It seems that you agree that such occurrences are rare. I think if we analyse it even further we'll find that novices do it more often than more experienced riders. Just as a point of interest, "shear" has a very specific meaning in materials failure and chains can't fail in shear. Again, that side plate was probably a perforated one (those lightweight ones with cut-outs) that received a violent sideways force - typically pedaling when the chain was in the process of chaining sprockets and the cross-over point was at the top of the cassette when the rider powered up. It is user error, not chain fault that causes a side plate to break.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The only chain I've had a problem with in recent years was an expensive, lightweight KMC 10 speed one. Less than 200 miles and one of the side plates came away from the rivet - and it was NOT mistreated (as far as I know - I'm not what you'd call a 'powerful' rider!). I'd had the chain 'in stock' for well over a year, so accepted it as maybe just a 'friday afternoon' job. Otherwise no problems with KMC, SRAM, Campag or Shimano, but I always use KMC quick links, whatever the brand (you can get Campag specific ones too)

Top Bottom