Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren69

Regular
I've just been wiping my chain and noticed one pin is different from all the rest, is that the pin I remove if I need to take the chain off?

Attachments

• IMG_20160831_080541.jpg
    IMG_20160831_080541.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 60

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've just been wiping my chain and noticed one pin is different from all the rest, is that the pin I remove if I need to take the chain off?
There's no need to take your chain off until it needs replacing so just leave it alone and carry on as you were.

Sharky

Guru
When the time comes to replace the chain, the chain can be split at any link.
With new chain, if it has a re-usable link, a blob of the Mrs's nail varnish makes it easy to spot for the next time and also when cleaning/oiling the chain, so you know when to stop.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
With new chain, if it has a re-usable link, a blob of the Mrs's nail varnish makes it easy to spot for the next time and also when cleaning/oiling the chain, so you know when to stop.
Use your own nail varnish, cheeky!

Quick links are pretty easy to spot by the different side plates - if they're not, clean your damned chain!

While you should be able to split it at any link, splitting at the "special" pin if it has one is easier. I've had ordinary pins break cheap chain tools before :sad: but it was a good excuse to buy a Park Tool. :smile:

That's the one pin you never take out. It is a Shimano pin that comes with Shimano chains and not intended to be removed. If you do remove it, it will destroy itself and the plate.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Serious question - are Shimano chains rubbish? If so, what's a good make?
KMC, SRAM, Wipperman.

T4tomo

Guru
No Shimano chains aren't rubbish, I assume mjr was referring to the fact he was replacing it cos it was worn.

I normally use KMC chains they come with a joining link, which I find easier to use than the "Shimano pin" for joining the new chain.

Goggs

Guru
Ah, OK. I was looking at chains this morning but can't figure out which one would be suitable for my bike. I know they're not all the same. I don't need one though & hopefully not for a long time. It does need lubed again though. Is lubing the chain on a weekly basis common or am I overdoing it?

T4tomo

Guru
No the more regularly you wipe down your chain and re lube (wipe off excess) the better.

You just need to match the "speed" of your gears, I.e how many cogs on the rear cassette as 8spd 9 spd 10spd 11 spd are different width chains.

All of those mentioned my smoking Joe above are compatible with Shimano ( and Sram) gearing, which Im assuming you have.

Goggs

Guru
Thanks for the info. I actually have Nexus 8 hub gears so I assume they might use a different chain. Like I say, I don't expect to need one any time soon as the bike's only a month old but it's good to know in advance what will be required.

OP
OP
Darren69

Darren69

Regular
That's what chain is in my picture, kmc narrow chain, I just wanted to know why the pin was different, now I know.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for the info. I actually have Nexus 8 hub gears so I assume they might use a different chain. Like I say, I don't expect to need one any time soon as the bike's only a month old but it's good to know in advance what will be required.
They might and it depends on the rear sprocket mainly but you may want to replace that at the same time as the chain anyway for the cost of three quid and some fiddling with a spring clip and the new sprocket will determine whether you want 1/8" or 3/32" width. I prefer the thicker stuff for no good reason :laugh:

And I did think that shimano chain was rubbish. I never had one require replacement so soon.

Top Bottom