Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
Thanks for the info. I take all chainrings are the same thickness then or can they be different too? I didn't realize there was a difference at all although I knew BMX bikes used a different size chain for some reason.

I shall endeavour to avoid Shimano in future :thumbsdown:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think all chainrings you're likely to have @Goggs can take both common widths. I think BMXs use ⅛" chain too but I don't have one to check! In general, chains get thinner with more gears: FG/SS/HG chain (except the few who use 3/32" 5-8speed chain, like my Dutchie came with) is usually wider than 5-8 speed is wider than 9 speed is wider than 10 is wider than 11...

Goggs

Guru
I noticed while lubig it today that it's a KMC. There's more writing on it but too wee for my old eyes. The chainset is by Truvativ.

I actually noticed a difference in smoothness today. I was a bit generous with the oil this time because it's so damned dusty here. It hasn't rained in 5 weeks! I'm unsure if the lube is all that good if I'm honest. I didn't have a clue when I bought it so went with the online reviews and bought a bottle of Squirt. It's white, which is odd.

Goggs

Guru
I think it's genuine but it's difficult to tell because it's all in French and so different to the example in the link. What would you recommend for dry, dusty conditions?

They might and it depends on the rear sprocket mainly but you may want to replace that at the same time as the chain anyway for the cost of three quid and some fiddling with a spring clip and the new sprocket will determine whether you want 1/8" or 3/32" width. I prefer the thicker stuff for no good reason :laugh:

And I did think that shimano chain was rubbish. I never had one require replacement so soon.
Just done over 3,000 miles on my last Shimano chain, mind you did the same on my last KMC chain, but the Shimano faired better but that might just be the elements being a touch kinder, I think less wet weather riding.

I think all chainrings you're likely to have @Goggs can take both common widths. I think BMXs use ⅛" chain too but I don't have one to check! In general, chains get thinner with more gears: FG/SS/HG chain (except the few who use 3/32" 5-8speed chain, like my Dutchie came with) is usually wider than 5-8 speed is wider than 9 speed is wider than 10 is wider than 11...
Its only the external width that has narrowed plates & pins, I use what are essential 8sp chain rings on my 10sp because the internal width is the same and as far as I am aware the same is true of 11sp.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom