Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I ended up buying the chain from a locally-approved KMC stockist. I've fitted the chain successfully but I've found that it's jumping out of, or raking the top of some of the sprockets.

Someone mentioned that when you have to replace the chain that the cassette should be replaced too. Have I found personal proof of this or is there something else wrong?

PS: The KMC X-10 is the original chain of my Giant Escape 0. I do about 1,000 mile per year and both the chain and cassette had been replaced in September 2017 (they had lasted three years).
The cassette must be worn enough not to like the new chain. I usually get two chains to one cassette mind.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Normally you don't need to replace the cassette with the chain, however 3 years use, the 3 year old chain at 3000 miles "may" have worn the sprocket too, check the chain for wear every 500 miles, you can wear out a chain in this relatively short mileage dependent on conditions (wet/dusty not cleaned regularly) I have had between 500 miles and 2000 miles out of a chain dependent on conditions

Mr Celine

Discordian
KMC Unisex's X10 Chain, Grey, 114 Link .
I replaced the chain on my bike last week with an ordinary KMC X10. It turns out the old chain was a unisex one.

:okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern
For some reason a lot of amazons stuff has the word unisex in the description. I think it is a recent thing, I can't see there's a logical reason for it.
I expect they ask for a gender whenever a product is listed, all the better for their algorithms to target you.

But a chain is unisex isn't it? What would have been weird was if it said male or female.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bike chain is female in German :whistle:
But bike is neuter.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I also came across that "unisex" on several websites of bicycle (parts). One explanation that I can think of is some common webshop software whose database has a field tagging for men or women, and that they have to choose like it or not, needed or not.
I think you are right with the field tagging, I recently bought a Tiagra bottom bracket from Amazon, it was described as" multicolour" the Ultegra was black, the Tiagra was silver, however described as multicolour, if it had been described as "silver" this may have been construed as made of silver!! who knows, it was all silver in colour

Top Bottom