chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

archenemy

Hi
I have a hard tail and when I’m out riding I seem to get chain suck. I think its called that the chain hits up wards on to the frame is there a way I can stop it the chain is an sram chain.
Thanks
If this tip is any good to you I use pond liner on the frame with cable ties in stead of lizard shin its cheap at 59p sqft and wipes clean very easily

Mr Pig

The best way to stop chain suck is regular maintenance. If the gears are not lined up very well or badly worn that'll contribute but the biggest factor I've found is a manky chain. Some people on here recommend not cleaning your chain, instead just chucking oil at it, but I disagree. You'll get away with that on a road bike maybe but on a MTB your chain will be a sticky mess in no time. Take it off, wash it in white spirit, rinse with water and a small amount of detergent, stick in in the oven for two minutes to dry and stick it back on the bike. While the chain's off clean the cogs too.

One drop of oil on each roller and you're set. Bike'll feel much better and the gears will shift more cleanly. If you still get chain suck you'll need to adjust something.

Top Bottom