Chainless bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
According to Mike Burrows, (whose opinion I tend to trust), belts are good for high speed/low torque applications (like cambelts), and chains for the reverse (bikes).

tyred

Legendary Member
It's just I've always fancied the idea of a belt driven bike for the sake of trying something different. Maybe one day I'll build my own and see what happens...

Arch

Married to Night Train
tyred said:
It's just I've always fancied the idea of a belt driven bike for the sake of trying something different. Maybe one day I'll build my own and see what happens...

Ah well, there's nothing wrong with trying something different.;)

tyred

Legendary Member
It just leaves the question of how do you get the belt on without taking a hacksaw to the chainstay....

tyred

Legendary Member
True but I would need to buy yet another frame. I was hoping to use the old Raleigh sports I have lying in the garage as a guinea pig.

Hairyredhead

I own a shaft drive bicycle, supplied by zero bicycles in the UK. I have used the bicycle for my 22 mile per day commute and can report that I can perceive no difference between riding the Zero and my ladies Raleigh. The bike is designed to be a commuter bike, so comparing it with anything other is not really fair.

I love the shaft drive concept and hub gears, they are so clean, they don't need constant interference, they don't have a chain to fall off, you can change gear at standstill and they make the bike look clean and unfussy. For commuting, I doubt that many people would want more than 7 gears. Replacing the rear wheel is also fairly easy and clean!

I think that the main reason the bikes won't catch on is because they are expensive and they aren't supplied by many shops.

Night Train

Maker of Things
There are ways of redesigning the frame to take a belt drive. It is also possible to have a join in a belt for a DF.

My Harley Davidson was belt drive and to change the belt all the transmission and rear suspension had to come apart. They sold emergency replacement belts that were joined with pins. One cut end of the belt was cut into a long tapering point and the other end was a long tapering V that matched up. The joint was secured by small pins that were pushed through each of the belt teeth in the joint bridging the two parts of the V joint. Must have used 15 or so pins for the length of the joint.

Hi to you all,give it a chance to attract the attention of the Titanium & Carbon Fibre Engineers and their equivalents of Double Glazing Salesmen.They will develop the system lighter than the lightest chain and regular drive train with all of is associated components and convince you to part with your hard earned/aquired !!wonga in that you have got to have it(conscience) to further the Cause of the Carbon Footprint Reduction Programme.Then when everone has thrown their tried & trusted steeds in the skip or off loaded them on E'bay to the less wll healed they will develop a little engine for them that will run on urine or some other waste matter from the riders body(logged on with a micro chip) and then Another Stealth Tax is Born.In the meantime my Bianchi is my contribution to The Carbon Footprint Reduction Programme.Happy & Safe Riding to you All.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I noticed those OYBikes that you can rent outside some hotels had shaft drives. I'd have liked to have had a go, but I couldn't be bothered registering. I suppose the main point of a drive shaft is to save your trousers getting oily. Sadly the scheme doesn't really seem to have taken off. According to the website, they're only to be found in Cardiff, and a few places in Reading and Farnorough.

OYBikeAndLock.jpg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
tyred said:
There are a few differences. The timing chain of an engine is completely sealed from the outiside world for one thing. I've also seen engines where the timing chain has broken at relatievely low mileage (a BMW 325TD that my uncle had being one such expensive case). A cam belt drive should be much quieter and smoother than a chain drive, doesn't need oiled and shouldn't stretch in use. Even safe and sound inside the engine, chains stretch (listen to the racket from an old BMC A series/Ford Crossflow or Peugeot/Simca engine can make if you don't believe me). If the tension is set right, the belt will deteriorate with age rather than use. Also, for people who ride in the rain, it won't rust or need to be covered in messy oils to prevent it.

+1 I once had a Lada with a chain cam belt. once it began to wear and lose tension it sounded like I was chain whipping a metal dustbin every time I drove it.

Norm

Yellow Fang said:
I noticed those OYBikes that you can rent outside some hotels had shaft drives.
I have to travel to Green Park once a month for meetings over there. On 15th November, Dell posted reference to the place on the wind turbine thread (post 21) and I was heading there the next day for the meeting. By coincidence, YF posts a reference to it tonight and I'll be there in the morning.

I'll be busy for most of the day, I'll see if I can grab a chance to get out on one of those things. :sad:

Top Bottom