Chainring bolt/nut seized - any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Trying to swap a 39 for the 42 on my old Shimano 600, and four of the five bolts have freed up nicely. The fifth, of course, is refusing to play nice - the nut and bot simple revolving together. I can't get any kind of purchase on the nut to stop it turning, and my attempts to shift it using sharp taps from a hammer on a screwdriver in one of the little slots have so far proved fruitless. Any suggestions gratefully received.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could get one of the tools that holds the rear nut.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I read about those...someone said they're fine till the going gets tough, then they just fold like big girls blouses. Anyway, thanks but...I sorted it meself. I think it was posting that made me really think it thru', and the bodge I came up with did the trick - a small nail, mole-gripped so the head engaged with one of the wee slots. Like this, in case it helps anyone who finds themselves in the same situation (and judging by my googles, a fair number of people do):

nut.jpg

fossyant

Clever bodge. I have a Dura Ace chain ring bolt doobrie that came with the Group set about 26 years ago. Works a treat still.

PS those chain rings are pure filth. ^_^:tongue:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
had the same problem... dunno if your nuts are like mine, but mine took an allen key in either side, so two allen keys sorted it, which i discovered after much swearing.

[edit] just seen your 2nd post, they're not :smile:

fossyant

I might have to get one of those 'burner' jobs for the anti-roll bar links on the missus car if my sockets and breaker bar won't shift them.

silva

Über Member
This is what I use as tool to hold the nut:
1586116452248.png

So if you find an old shoe, you've found a chainring nut tool. :biggrin:

Top Bottom