Chainring in the groin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I had a comment at work today. It's not something I've really thought about, but it was pointed out to me that on my Strada (a high racer with the pedals only slightly behind the front of the front wheel) the chain-rings are at groin height....or even worse, they're at small children's face height!

Therefore, if a pedestrian stepped in front of me, and I was on the middle ring, the large ring would be ideally placed to do some serious damage....assuming I didn't hit them pedal first. I just wondered if anyone's ever considered this? Maybe manufacturers should fit guards?

1-7-1.jpg

A car going into a child's face would do far more damage. And sadly, such incidents are far more likely to happen than a pedestrian walking in front of your specific bike and being hit.

Far better to do something about the cars.

I find that you tend catch yourself on the front ring, not someone else .......... :tongue:

ICE do a chainguard which is an optinal extra.
I've fitted it to to my new Trike, not as a chainguard but as a very good point to padlock a cable to after its gone through a front wheel/around a post/etc/etc.

Additionally, I think a pedal strike is much more likely. Unless you're coasting with h cranks vertical, the winow of 'bare ring' would be (I imagine) relatively low.

And tbh, any bike, or any vehicle hitting a pedestrian is going to do some damage no matter what.

Nantmor

On the other hand, you could make a nasty mess of a car body panel. As it happens, I have a Bacchetta very similar to yours.

markg0vbr

Über Member
i have had all this with a bike club i don't ride with, i went for a meet and great, or in this case "there dangerous them, you will gash some ones leg with that spinning around, you will have to fit some kind of guard if you want to ride with the club" just about every anti recumbent myth was trotted out. i dont ride with them, did i mention that?
non of them had ever ridden one and most had never seen one in the flesh, you will even get people who have not ridden a bike for years bashing on about how deadly they are.

i have ridden with a lot of recumbent and mixed bike groups all with out mishap, remember on a recumbent you are sat looking where you are going not at three squarer foot of tarmac in-front of you this makes you a safer rider, you can stop faster than a df bike this makes you a safer rider and as you are very odd looking people will see you rather than look through you, this makes you safer as well.

there are chain guards if you think you need one but they cost and add weight. i dont ride with that bike club you know!

Last summer I had to walk my bike through a busy part of London. The risk of someone walking in to the chainset seemed to me to be quite high. I made sure the chain was on the big ring and covered it with a carrier bag. After three weeks and 1000 miles it was very dirty! My new Fuego came with a chainset guard which I will not remove.

Markg0vbr, the only time I have seen an injury from this component was a guy in France on a DF. He ran himself over with his own bike (at walking pace) Nevertheless the injury was severe. He needed hospital treatment and we came over all funny when he removed the bandage and showed us!

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
Now where can I get a little boxing glove on a spring ?

That must the ideal chainring guard !

henshaw11

"you will gash some ones leg with that spinning around, you will have to fit some kind of guard if you want to ride with the club"

Not exactly unreasonable, sh*t happens and a chainring's gonna hurt !
As mentioned, when wheeling through pedestrians it's a bit of a liability - and if your bike's parked up somewhere there's the possible of someone being dopey and walking into it.

The weight of a chainguard's pretty insignificant - I've a more enclosed type on the front of my Speendmachine (as supplied from HPVelo.) and it's just formed sheet steel - ISTR they're fitted as standard, with a bash-ring type as an alternative . The ICE version is more minimalist and looks prettier, but it probably works ok.

Pretty sure that the BHPC have a chain(ring)guard as a mandatory requirement for racing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I would be instinctively inclined towards fitting a chainring guard, but thinking about it, my reasons would be purely based on the same kind of specious "common sense" thought process that advocates certain other types of cycling safety equipment, so maybe on reflection I wouldn't bother.

d.

Nantmor

It says a lot for cyclists that this thread is all about the danger we might present to others. Its only me who spoils it by mentioning cars.
If the chainwheel is noticed by motorists it must get us a bit more respect on the road. It also helps that feet first is a good way to absorb an impact.

Top Bottom