Chainring in the groin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenM

Veteran
ummm - on my 'bent, when wheeling it, I point the pedals fore/aft... no chance of chain ring contact then. Similarly when riding on the shared paths and encountering people/animals, one foot is right forwards.

Thinking about it, on one occasion I used the fear, in the mind of a yob, of what was about to happen to his gentleman bits to make him get out of the way - he had jumped into my path deliberately trying to force me to stop... I guess the sight of the chain ring and spinning cranks aiming right at the soft and squidgy part of his anatomy had some bearing on the speed at which he changed his mind about stopping me :laugh:

B.

markg0vbr

Über Member
I would be instinctively inclined towards fitting a chainring guard, but thinking about it, my reasons would be purely based on the same kind of specious "common sense" thought process that advocates certain other types of cycling safety equipment, so maybe on reflection I wouldn't bother.

d.
you almost mentioned helmets but i think we got away with it.:secret:

that is close to what i think, if all the club riders had full rear mudguards to stop crap being flipped up in to my face, i would consider fitting a chain guard.

If the forward crank is anywhere between horizontal and aiming upwards it'll be forced backwards by the impact (freewheel) and it's only the RH crank which might offer any real protection from impact with the ring anyway, the left hand crank/pedal is way over there on the other side of the bike. An outer ring with the teeth removed (and the front mech locked out) used as a rudimentary bash-guard would help. So would just riding around in the big ring...

BenM

Veteran
If the forward crank is anywhere between horizontal and aiming upwards it'll be forced backwards by the impact
You must push your 'bent in pedestrian spaces way faster than I do then... if the front of the bike was anywhere near a ped. I would be almost stopped. Granted I haven't tried pushing the bike through Waterloo station at rush hour!
left hand crank/pedal is way over there on the other side of the bike.
Its only a bottom bracket width away; psychologically (as far as a ped. is concerned) it is in the same place... I reckon you would need a really deliberate pedestrian to hit the chainwheel without first contacting the pedal if you have the left pedal sticking forwards.

YMMV of course.

B.

What kind of weird bike do you have:ohmy: mine is less than a decimeter away, I would really like to see the pedestrian who manages to avoid the pedal and hit the chainring
You're kidding right, or else what kind of two dimensional world do you live in? A human is not a flat plane like a wall. If the centre-line of your bike lines up with the left side outside edge of your victim's outline, the left crank will pass them by and the chain ring will impale them. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Less than a decimeter? What the hell are you riding?

Arch

Married to Night Train
A chap once came up at a roadshow and ranted to a recumbent rider about his chainring. Ian (Fardoe) pointed out that there was a great feal more risk of anyone being hit by a car on the road. The ranter said "oh, but if you get hit by a car, you just roll off". He genuinely seemed to believe that a pedestrian hit by a car just rolled away and got up, having landed on a bed of marshmallow....

starhawk

You're kidding right, or else what kind of two dimensional world do you live in? A human is not a flat plane like a wall. If the centre-line of your bike lines up with the left side outside edge of your victim's outline, the left crank will pass them by and the chain ring will impale them. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Less than a decimeter? What the hell are you riding?
As of your description I sooner would think that you live in a two dimesional world, has it ever occurred to you that the outside edge of your victim is not a flat surface? Or are you used to impaling things att an angle?

OK maybe a little longer then a decimeter, but the crankarm also counts! That still leaves a very small window of danger and as the outside of the victim is not flat it wouldn't be an impaling

As of your description I sooner would think that you live in a two dimesional world, has it ever occurred to you that the outside edge of your victim is not a flat surface? Or are you used to impaling things att an angle?

OK maybe a little longer then a decimeter, but the crankarm also counts! That still leaves a very small window of danger and as the outside of the victim is not flat it wouldn't be an impaling

Are you drunk?

I don't doubt a chainrings potential to injure. The incident I referred to in an earlier post was caused as far as I understand by a stumble on a loaded DF touring bike. Presumably he lost balance as he put pressure on the left pedal. Chainring sliced deeply into his right calf. He needed a hospital admission and several stitches. Being sort of a round three dimensional shape didn't seem to provide much protection!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Dumb comments or not - I still can't understand what you are on about ? :wacko:

GrasB

Veteran
Basically the distance between the non-drive crank & the chainring is rather small. To the point it would take some interesting maneuvers to actually make contact.

Top Bottom