Chainring in the groin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Basically the distance between the non-drive crank & the chainring is rather small. To the point it would take some interesting maneuvers to actually make contact.

Eh? Let me ride into you very many times on my recumbent bicycle. On each collision I move the impact point 5mm farther to the left. On the first hit my left pedal hits you square on the leg. On the second too, and the third. But eventually there comes a time where the left hand pedal just passes you by and the chainring becomes the first part of the bike to make contact. It's highly unlikely that the left hand crank will provide any protection in a collision. Why is this so difficult for some people to envision?

I'd draw a diagram if I could be bothered.

starhawk

Basically the distance between the non-drive crank & the chainring is rather small. To the point it would take some interesting maneuvers to actually make contact.
On the point!

markg0vbr

Über Member
th_DSC00295.jpg
with my ped deflector and look out every one i am coming flags on i am the safest thing on the road, or cycle path, as the dogs and kids bounce off* and has been extensively tested on both. i would have to shove a bike pump in the back wheel of a df to shred there leg with my rig, but still according to the club riders it needs a chain guard.:rolleyes: i dont ride with them, you know there odd.

*unlike another trike rider re named dog shredder.

My trikes so low down I'll get knee caps and not groin's if I try hard enough ........ :evil:

And the daft thing is that I'm more likely to get them pushing it by hand, rather than sitting on it and riding it.

BenM

Veteran
Why is this so difficult for some people to envision?
It is not difficult to envision - in the basically static system you describe you are correct; the chain wheel will hit the target at some point given a static unobservant target. And oif course if the right pedal is pointing forwards it is impossible for the pedestrian to connect with the chain ring... at sensible speeds at least.

My hypothesis is that, psychologically for the pedestrian, the left pedal pointing forwards is just as effective in promoting evasive maneuvers regarding the chain ring as the right.

I think that in the real world, as opposed to an Intertnet thought experiment, either the pedestrian will notice the whole bike/(probably bell ringing/horn sounding/shouting) cyclist and take avoiding action or the rider will take evasive action - such as altering the position of the machine so that the pedal does contact the target first :biggrin:

In the case where the cyclist is pushing their recumbent behind the ped then the cyclist should be the one to look out and would IMHO be extremely unlikely to actually manage to hit the pedestrain with the chain wheel or, indeed, any other part of the machine.

Out of interest has anyone actually managed to hit a pedestrian with their chain ring?

RhythMick

Über Member
I'd stick this on the front. Should be less offensive to the third party than a chainringed face/gentlmans area.

ux_a11030300ux0157_ux_c.jpg
Love it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

... every day is a winding road...

'Out of interest has anyone actually managed to hit a pedestrian with their chain ring?'

Well yes, --- me! When in my workshop I noticed that whenever my back was turned my trike would roll forward and nip me in the back of the leg. Of course when I turned round it was absolutely static! I didn't have the heart to have it put down so I sold it to an unsuspecting purchaser.

HovR

Über Member
I guess we should stick air bags on the outside of cars, because you know.. They can be pretty dangerous if they hit a pedestrian. :rolleyes:

markg0vbr

Über Member
It is not difficult to envision - in the basically static system you describe you are correct; the chain wheel will hit the target at some point given a static unobservant target. And oif course if the right pedal is pointing forwards it is impossible for the pedestrian to connect with the chain ring... at sensible speeds at least.

My hypothesis is that, psychologically for the pedestrian, the left pedal pointing forwards is just as effective in promoting evasive maneuvers regarding the chain ring as the right.

I think that in the real world, as opposed to an Intertnet thought experiment, either the pedestrian will notice the whole bike/(probably bell ringing/horn sounding/shouting) cyclist and take avoiding action or the rider will take evasive action - such as altering the position of the machine so that the pedal does contact the target first :biggrin:

In the case where the cyclist is pushing their recumbent behind the ped then the cyclist should be the one to look out and would IMHO be extremely unlikely to actually manage to hit the pedestrain with the chain wheel or, indeed, any other part of the machine.

Out of interest has anyone actually managed to hit a pedestrian with their chain ring?

the normal way to move a trike when not riding it is to drag it, by the back wheel behind you.:angel:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've not yet hit a pedestrian, but I have had two collisions, one regrettable, the other a delight. The sorry one saw 'Teef (of these very forums) come to a halt in front of the group to let a wheelchair user cross the road. I stopped late, collected a shove from the back, and rolled chainring first into his (mighty) calf. Left a nasty set of holes in him, which was tragic.

The second was a young lady who thought that pulling out from a minor road into the path of fast moving traffic was a good idea because
  • the only thing she was going to disrupt was a lowly bicycle
  • knowing that the rider would come off worse than a people carrier, he would magically bend physics and stop within 25 feet.
I did stop within 25 feet, to be fair. Problem was, she was only 24 feet and 9 inches away. Took me forever to back the bike out of her door panel. Turns out a Renault Espace is considerable softer than PanzerFiets.
Andy.

Top Bottom