Chainring Options...........or not as the case may be...........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm currently running a Shimano 6700 53/39 chainset on the CAAD, just like this one;

shimano-6700-ultegra-5339t-10speed-hollowtech-ii-double-chainset-grey-EV149630-7000-1.jpg

Looking at chainrings I think I'm stuck with the standard ones due to the shape of the spider, is this the case or has anyone found any alternatives?

FWIW I fancy oval rings but think I'll have to swap the chainset out to achieve it.

T.I.A. :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm currently running a Shimano 6700 53/39 chainset on the CAAD, just like this one;

View attachment 455673

Looking at chainrings I think I'm stuck with the standard ones due to the shape of the spider, is this the case or has anyone found any alternatives?

FWIW I fancy oval rings but think I'll have to swap the chainset out to achieve it.

The likes of Rotor and Absolute Black do chainrings for Shimano crankset

boydj

Legendary Member

View attachment 455673

I tried that a couple of years ago (on a 110 BCD 105 chainset) and barely noticed the difference. The oval rings have been lying in the parts bin ever since - I can't even give them away - having gone sub-compact since then.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I tried that a couple of years ago (on a 110 BCD 105 chainset) and barely noticed the difference. The oval rings have been lying in the parts bin ever since - I can't even give them away - having gone sub-compact since then.
It's not for any actual benefit, (imI not fit enough to want them for any marginal gains), but I suspect that they're getting ready for changing and I figured why not give them a whirl.

I have a compact as well so could give yours a go on that instead.

Which ones did you get, any pics and how much would you want for them to tempt me to try them ;)

boydj

Legendary Member
It's not for any actual benefit, (imI not fit enough to want them for any marginal gains), but I suspect that they're getting ready for changing and I figured why not give them a whirl.

I have a compact as well so could give yours a go on that instead.

Which ones did you get, any pics and how much would you want for them to tempt me to try them ;)

No can do, unfortunately. I had Rotor rings replacing the 5700 52/36 chainrings, which were 110 BCD. They would not have been suitable for your chainset anyway, but I handed them in to a bike charity a few weeks ago, so no longer have them.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
No can do, unfortunately. I had Rotor rings replacing the 5700 52/36 chainrings, which were 110 BCD. They would not have been suitable for your chainset anyway
Fair enough but I know they wouldn't fit my double with the 130 BCD, however I was asking as like I said I have a compact as well which at 110 BCD they would have fit.

IThe oval rings have been lying in the parts bin ever since - I can't even give them away
I must have misunderstood, my bad :rolleyes:

boydj

Legendary Member
Fair enough but I know they wouldn't fit my double with the 130 BCD, however I was asking as like I said I have a compact as well which at 110 BCD they would have fit.

I must have misunderstood, my bad :rolleyes:

Apologies for not being clear. I did advertise the rings in my club and locally, but got no takers, so they went to charity along with a load of other stuff in a clear-out.

Top Bottom