Chainring sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onb

Guru
If I currently run a 30 chainring with a 29 cassette ring whate the equivalent casstte size needed if my smallest chainring becomes a 34 ,I just need an equivalent I have looked at various websites which just blind me with science.

gavintc

Guru
If you change nothing on your bike except the chain rings and the cassette , you can do a quick calc by dividing 30/29 as that will give the number of turns your back wheel goes around for every turn of your pedals = 1.03. Using using this ratio and assuming you have a 34 chainring suggests you need a 33 tooth cassette to replicate the ratio.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So you're virtually 1-1 so a 34 or 33 biggest sprocket would do it. Do either exist? I think the old mega range cassettes had a 34 sprocket. You can defo get a 32 biggest sprocket. You may well need a bigger capacity rear derailleur though.

@Nigelnaturist is your number cruncher .
:laugh:
If I currently run a 30 chainring with a 29 cassette ring whate the equivalent casstte size needed if my smallest chainring becomes a 34 ,I just need an equivalent I have looked at various websites which just blind me with science.
I am wondering why you need to change from a triple to a double.
I assume your on a Campy set up, there are both 9 & 10sp 34th first cogs and a 32 11sp Campagnoloa 42th SRAM 11sp other options out there as well, but would need to know your current set up.

OP
OP
onb

onb

Guru
Yes you are correct it is campag , I have been away on holiday and hired a compact equipped ShimaNO cycle and I mused with swopping from triple to compact double however a couple of hours out today have made me wonder as well why do I need to change .

spiderman2

Über Member
28 front 32 back for me...beat that!

specialized sirrus 26 front 32 rear

Top Bottom