Chainring wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Excuse the few days of commuting crud on the drivetrain.What do you think regarding the chainring,would you replace or get another couple of thousand miles out of it?
Im just about to treat it to new cassette and chain but will hold off if opinion is chainring needs replacing.
The more I look at it,the more convinced I am that it is fine but it is quite worn compared to the smaller ring.
IMG-20180128-WA0000.jpg

U

User6179

No where near needing changed imo, I am guessing only 2 or 3 thousand mile old?

Tangoup51

Chainring is fine, you will replace your chain & cassette before you ever end up replacing your chainring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Chainring is fine, you will replace your chain & cassette before you ever end up replacing your chainring. Atleast in my experience.
Ive done the chain allright after 3500miles but the new one was slipping all over the place.Its settled in nicely now though...I guess I was just looking for an excuse to spend some money on a new chainset.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have 4,500 miles on some FSA rings, which are allegedly not as hard wearing as Shimano. They look similar to yours, wear wise, and I have no intention on replacing them soon based on wear.

If it needs changing it will start spitting the chain off, no matter how many adjustments you try to make, it will happen when you’re putting any sort of reasonable power through the drive train. I had an Ultegra big chainring wear out on me a couple of weeks ago, it started to spit the chain with any more than 80 odd Watts going through it in the end. On close inspection, the ring was badly sharks toothed ( very pointy teeth, one or 2 missing). If it isn’t spitting the chain off ( this can be caused by incorrect indexing / trimming as well,) but if the ring is goosed, you won’t be able to stop it throwing the chain with adjustments.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That chainring is nowhere near worn out.

This is what a knackered chainring looks like:
chainring-1.jpg

Top Bottom