Chainring wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Just changed the chain - how are my teeth looking? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in terms of wear:

https://ibb.co/jhmYP8r

https://ibb.co/jHF5PGf

Cheers

Plenty life left in them, I would guess you have done under 5000 miles and should get at least the same again.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Looks fine, but you've taken a picture of a filthy bike.... :ohmy:

I cleaned it after, honest.

Whacked the chain off then gave it all a clean before putting the new chain on. (Have to say I prefer the installation of an sram chain over Shimano)

Seemed like there was some sideways play in my jockey wheels but I've heard some are meant to be like that?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The top jockey should have play unless you have fitted it to the bottom of the mech by accident :whistle:
You've done that too eh. :rolleyes: :whistle:

Would be interested in opinions on reiver's suggestion.
He's absolutely right. There are some caveats though, one of which he hinted at.

1) The pin on the large chainring is there to protect the crank from having the chain fall (and wedge very tightly) between the two chainrings. When this happens, your ride is spoilt and it is a carry home. Also, you'll get serious scratches and gouges on your crank.

2) Some chainrings are too sophisticated for turning. They have ramps machined into the inside of the large chainring which really improves shifting. By flipping it, you'll lose that benefit. Even by advancing it, you'll lose the benefit because the position is matched to a shortened tooth on the smaller ring.

A note to the OP: When photographic a chainring for judgement like you did above, show us the whole ring. Wear is accentuated over a small area only, which can be by superimposing a horizontal crank on a clock face. . The wear will be in the ten minute region between five-to and quarter-to. It will be clearly visible by a change in tooth profile.

Top Bottom